RkyMtnHigh

Do you know your Greens?

Reminds me a food battle with Mom when I was a kid.
I liked spinach (remember Popeye?) but I hated all other greens.

She once tried to tell me that the greens on the dinner plate were spinach when they were really collards...like I couldn't see or taste the difference.

She: Eat your spinach
Me: That's not spinach
She: Yes it is and you'll sit there until you eat it.
Me: OK but I'm not eating it.
fast forward to 2am:
She: Are you going to eat it?
Me: Nope
She: OK go to bed.

Nowadays I like all greens. Most often with pepper vinegar.
My dad made the best pepper vinegar. Grew his own peppers and put them in vinegar and other stuff in a mason jar and set them on the shelf for 6-months to a year. Got hotter an hotter with time.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm so glad this thread isn't about the Mods. :P

I like spinach, but I've never been able to get accustomed to greens. Even though I grew up in FL, we're Yankees so my mom never cooked anything like that. We had a lot of pot roast though.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I just don't understand this business of boiling greens into mush.B|

I will get some fresh kale or mustard greens or collard greens, cut 'em up, & just lightly steam them for about 3 minutes or so. So they're still bright green & fluffy, just slightly tenderized. Then I put some olive oil/vinagrette sauce on them.

This crap about boiling them for 15 minutes is ridiculous. They're just LEAVES!! If you boil them they will turn into a greyish-olive-green mush.B|:S
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I just don't understand this business of boiling greens into mush.B|

I will get some fresh kale or mustard greens or collard greens, cut 'em up, & just lightly steam them for about 3 minutes or so. So they're still bright green & fluffy, just slightly tenderized. Then I put some olive oil/vinagrette sauce on them.

This crap about boiling them for 15 minutes is ridiculous. They're just LEAVES!! If you boil them they will turn into a greyish-olive-green mush.B|:S

That is pretty much how I feel for any vegetable. I like them closer to raw than mush.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Where are all the Southerners?
No one even mentioned Polk Salad. When your low on funds just simply go you nearest cow pasture or wooded area and git some.
Polk salad has to be cooked thru and thru and the water discarded and then cooked again, if I remember correctly, or you would get sick.

http://www.rockytopgen.com/polksalad/rcn_07272004.html

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang