masterblaster72

Syd Barrett, R.I.P :(

Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies at 60 :(

Damn shame. I think Pink Floyd's best stuff was with Syd, and his solo stuff -- especially Madcap Laughs, were works of genius. Probably one of the most underappreciated artists ever.

"wouldn't you miss me..." -- yes, I will :(

R.I.P Syd. :(

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

They got their facts wrong.

David Gilmour replaced Barret when Barrett left the band because of mental problems. Gilmour was not a founding member of Floyd. Additionally, they left out Roger Waters who was a founding member.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with
David Gilmour,
Nick Mason and Rick Wright, and wrote many of the band's early songs.

__

My mighty steed

Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies at 60 :(

Damn shame. I think Pink Floyd's best stuff was with Syd, and his solo stuff -- especially Madcap Laughs, were works of genius. Probably one of the most underappreciated artists ever.

"wouldn't you miss me..." -- yes, I will :(

R.I.P Syd. :(

Quite simply, one of the most talented, tortured artists ever to record. Some of his solo work is almost too painful to listen to, especially songs like Dark Globe. His influence on artists like David Bowie an others can't be understated. I just wish he'd been able to keep it all together and have a better life.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

RIP Syd, we can definitely say that he'll never be forgotten that's for sure. He was a great musician!

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

They got their facts wrong.

David Gilmour replaced Barret when Barrett left the band because of mental problems. Gilmour was not a founding member of Floyd. Additionally, they left out Roger Waters who was a founding member.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with
David Gilmour,
Nick Mason and Rick Wright, and wrote many of the band's early songs.

I guess they read your post. Now it says:

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with Waters, Mason and Wright, and wrote many of the band's early songs. ...

But Barrett suffered from mental instability, exacerbated by his use of LSD. His behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968 — five years before the release of Pink Floyd's most popular album, "Dark Side of the Moon" — to be replaced by Gilmour.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Shine on, you crazy diamond...[:/]

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

When I was around 14, a few friends and I went to Chatham, Kent to see a HUGE tour that starred Jimi Hendrix. The 3rd or 4th band to play was Pink Floyd, and the roadies pulled this shambling man onstage who just stood there while the band played about 20 mnutes of mind bending psychedelic rock.

Syd was too stoned to play but they put him out there anyway. I checked out and bought every piece of vinyl that they produced, and without a doubt Syd had PURE genius simmering underneath a thin layer of psychosis. That much genius cannot be contained all the time though and when it SHONE THROUGH, WOW!

Good luck Syd, you were a major influence and factor in my life, may the next part be better for you...........:|
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

When I was around 14, a few friends and I went to Chatham, Kent to see a HUGE tour that starred Jimi Hendrix. The 3rd or 4th band to play was Pink Floyd, and the roadies pulled this shambling man onstage who just stood there while the band played about 20 mnutes of mind bending psychedelic rock.

Syd was too stoned to play but they put him out there anyway. I checked out and bought every piece of vinyl that they produced, and without a doubt Syd had PURE genius simmering underneath a thin layer of psychosis. That much genius cannot be contained all the time though and when it SHONE THROUGH, WOW!

Good luck Syd, you were a major influence and factor in my life, may the next part be better for you...........:|

Wow, lucky man you are to have seen them live back in the day...

For those interested, here's a good website dedicated to Syd.

R.I.P. ...

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Wow, lucky man you are to have seen them live back in the day...

For those interested, here's a good website dedicated to Syd.

R.I.P. ...

You have no idea how lucky. You can read some details of that tour in the book "Saucerful of Secrets" but as I remember the line-up was Eire Apparent, Amen Corner, The Nice (later - ELP) Pink Floyd, The Move (later ELO and Wizzard) and The Jimi Hendrix Experience........... all my buddies were raving over Hendrix, I was mesmerized by Pink Floyd.... they did 2 numbers in their 20 minutes.....
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?