FlyingJ

Gator bait...

Ok, so here's the deal...

I live in a travel trailer on a 21,000 acre state park. I have lots of neighbors...wild horses, buffalo, cows, deer, more birds and bugs than you can count, and one of the managers of the park and his wife.

So one night after a very long and strenuous day I pull up to my trailer and as I get out of my Jeep the manager's wife flags me down from about a hundred feet away and hollars over "Can I ask you a question?" I say of course and hop on my bike to ride around the fence over to where she is, the whole time wondering what she could possibly want as we've only ever talked once when we met. By the time I got over there I was already imagining her asking me to watch her dogs, or give her car a jump start, or any of a pile of things that went through my head, but as I get closer I could see that she was holding something wrapped up in a towel in her arms. I started feeling really bad and thought maybe it was one of her dogs and it had gotten attacked by a hawk or eagle or something (got some of those as neighbors too) and I started feeling pretty bad. I get up to her and realized that what she had was a baby deer, probably just a few days old if that. She was crying and kind of shaking a bit so it looked like it was moving, until she laid it on the ground and it was pretty obvious that the thing was dead. We went through the motions of trying to find a pulse, etc., all in silence. Finally she said something along the lines of "I really don't know what to say either..."

Here is where I'm wondering if I'm evil...

Well, I was silent the whole time, but it wasn't because I was choked up, it was because I was using every bit of willpower I had not to blurt out...

...GATOR BAIT!

See, another neighbor I have living right out back in the lake is a 7 foot long aligator that I have been dying to see eat something.

Now don't think I'm an unemotional jackass, I mean, I'm all for Bambi. Go Bambi, Rah Rah Rah!!! But this thing was dead. If it had been alive I would have been the first person calling the animal hospital up the street, but it wasn't, it was dead! She was still pretty torn up about it.

So I said that I really thought it was dead enough times that I figured it had sunk in to her and it would be ok to go ahead and pick it up and get rid of it. She was concerned about where we should put it...in a truck, in the shop, next to the shop. All I could think was ok, don't want vultures in the back of the truck, don't want coyotes breaking into the shop...hmmm...where could I put this...

...GATOR BAIT!

No, can't really go there. Unfortunately she can see the lake from the window of their house, I'm afraid it might be a bit traumatic to see the aligator gnawing on Bambi. But dammit, I can see the lake and I want to see the aligator eat something! Now I guess I need to add...I would never just outright feed an aligator or any form of wildlife. In this case I felt like putting the deer back where it had originally fallen near the side of the lake would simply have been removing the human involvement from the situation rather than adding to it, and I mean, the deer is going to have to be left somewhere and something is going to eat it, why not leave it where it fell and watch the gator eat it!

That's pretty much the end of the story. I just carried the thing out a back gate onto one of the firelines where some coyotes or vultures or some other random lucky carnivore probably feasted over the next day or two.

I did get fussed at the next day by one of the biologists I work for. "You mean you just took it and dropped it back in the woods...what the hell were you thinking. How big was this thing? And she saw it alive just a few hours before she found it? And how big is your grill? What you should have done was call me and tell me to pick up some beer and come on over!"

I'm not sure if I would have enough willpower to do the same thing again. Damn I wanna see that gator eat something!
Killing threads since 2004.

HAHAHA.....Gator Bait! Thats right! you dawgs, seminoles,....and volunteers walking through the G'ville swamp better be careful!

Okay...sorry to chime in on your story!! Paynes Prairie is a beautiful place...full of gators, but they are awesome creatures to watch.B|
F LORIDA!

J, from my point of view, you are not evil. Wildlife dies, its the way of things. There are predators and there are prey. More often than not an animal is BOTH. It hunts some and is hunted by others. It's kinda like that old saying that every day the lion wakes up and knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve, and the gazelle wakes up knowing that it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be lunch. While that may not be precisely analagous to your situation, the point is that animals eat other animals. That gator is gonna eat something...it might as well eat that dead baby deer. What else are you gonna do with it, dig a grave and put up a headstone? It's not your dog Spot that died. Of course you know all this, you just need affirmation. Consider this my approval to feed the gator!;)

you dawgs...better be careful!

Careful there chica! My family is full of Dawgs, so you better...ahhh...what am I talking about. I'm a Bearcat. What the hell is a Bearcat anyway?

I'm pretty sure it would be scared of a gator too.

Oh well...proceed...

J, from my point of view, you are not evil.

Yeah...I'm not actually worried about being evil.

Evil would be wanting to toss a limping baby deer over near the lake.

Damn...it would still be cool to see that gator eat something!

do y'all barbeque deer???

I think they'll barbecue anything in Texas.

However, from the fussing out I got when I told my friend about it, it sounds like grilling it up might not have been a bad option.

This year jean the gators are seminolebait. I had the gators last year against brie and i was right. Sorry, the gators will be toast against FSU. So if your planning on coming to the fsu/gator game come and see it in tally.:D:D:D:D:D I have an all u can jump at the farm week-end bet on this. You feel lucky well do you?:P:P
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?