nubain1

Is there a Dr. in the House?????

Any Docs out there? I got a question that I need help with.
I recently went to my doc for a physical and after doing routine bloodwork,
he found my WBC high. Not much, just 1point above the norm. It's been high
on consecutive draws. Now I have to go to a lab for more draws do be done and
if it's still high then I get sent to a hematologist. I've had no signs of infection or
sickness. I've been reading that it could be anything from stress to lupus and lukemia.
I try not to worry about it too much with it being only 1 point off. But I sit here and
start thinking about it and start getting scared. Any ideas what it could be?

I'm no Doc but there are MANY things that can cause that. One off the top of my head........That's the first thing they looked for to confirm my appendicitis. Hopefully it's something easy to fix or maybe you just have a better immune system than "Normal" people. ;)

First things first...stop scaring yourself. Most of the time, it's a wee infection that we might not even know we have. And it's easily handled, too.

If it's something bigger than that, well, some of us know you're one hell of a fighter, and know that you can handle this, too. But that's something to worry about when the Dr. tells you to do so...til then, just do what you regularly do, and get more sleep. B|

No, I'm not a Dr., and I really should listen to my own advice, but still, it's good, sound advice...when the Dr. says to worry, then start. 'Til then, just be "normal".

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

hey there! i was a lab tech for over twelve yrs. i would't worry about a wbc count that was only one cell over the norm. they are usually measured by the thousands.
;) there are different normal ranges for different people. some can run a tad higher or a tad lower but still be in the what is considered normal range. i would be much more worried if the count was too low. that would mean that your body isn't doing its job.

DON'T WORRY!:)

I am a doctor, and I thought you were gonna change that avatar. :P

I have nothing to add to the discussion, except that I also wouldn't be worried....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

As I said in the pm... the "normal"s are just the average on a bell curve, you could just be outside of that value.

But now, looking at your occupation... whether you have an elevated white count or not .... you should be aware of and get checked for things that you might have been exposed. (make sure that your annual TB is negative - not saying that's high on the list cuz it's not easy to catch TB, also keep up to date on immunizations - you do have Hep B vaccine, doncha?)

Hope it all works out well.:)