Buried

How many speeding tickets have you received?

From 1976 to 1999 somwhere in the neighborhood of 10 or 15. But I drove for a living. Always trying to make my deadlines. From 1999 to the present, 0. I have a clean driving record for the first time since 1983. Knock on wood. Speeding tickets in Montana go off your record in three years. In Mt if you get 30 points against you , you are classed a habitual offender and they pull you liscense for three yrs. I had 29 points. Time to clean up my act at that point. Now I have 0. Speeding tickets are three poins, DUI's are 10. Reckless and careless are between there somewhere. Bottom line is for me is the oldere I get, the slower I drive. I became my dad and then my grandpa. I'm a geezer at 46.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

3 since 1988.

1990 - speed trap at Seal Beach Naval weapons station. Had to go to traffic school without my parents finding out.

1998 - 75 on Bay Bridge, weaving through traffic. First day of spring fever. More traffic school.

1999 - 90+ on 101 heading for Monterey. Don't drive angry at your girlfriend for making you late. Yet again at traffic school.

The last two tickets were pretty dumb ones to get. In both cases the CHP wrote the ticket at 15 over the limit so it would be the smaller penalty (and likely so I wouldn't challenge), even though I was a good deal faster.

if you get a lot, you're either in a bad vehicle, or you need to make better choices. Since 1995 I've gone 150k on cars and just under 100k on motorcycles (mostly BMWs) going 75-80 on 65mph limit freeways and those two tickets were times when I was really standing out.

In Tampa, there is an area called New Tampa or Tampa Palms. At any time of day/night, there is a minimum of 2 police cars out there with radar. At night, it is worse.

Florida has a .08 dui limit. (Effectively one beer an hour)

They sit outside Bennigans and pull over people who are happy to get let go with a ticket that they don't deserve.
"You were going 50 in a 45."
"Oh, yes sir..."

They never actually patrol the apartments or sub-divisions. Hence, my sons car was stolen on a day when 5 cars were collecting cash from chicks in SUVs.

We have an expression in New Tampa, "I don't need the police to protect me from someone. I need someone to protect me from the police."

They are a laughing stock among other law enforcement agencies. They have been nicknamed the Tampa Meter Maid Society by the Hillsborough Sheriffs deputies.