MotoGP

Nervous

I've just made solo status and I get the jitters before I exit the plane???!!! I'm having a great time after I get out of the door and love the fact that I'm solo. I'm very relaxed, and pumped about the jump and savor every sec of free fall. Is this something that only more jumps will fix?? I just hate feeling like that prior to having the times of my life.

It will get better. But I'm always nevous until I get out of the plane BECAUSE I'm IN an AIRPLANE. Once I get out I don't have to depend on the pilot, airframe, engine, etc.

Riding in an airplane is SCARY! :o Skydiving is FUN! B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It took me 50 to 70 jumps to stop being scared at the door. I was so terrified during AFF that I would never remember what I did in the door and I always messed up my count (I made my instructors earn their money, for sure :).

Just like you, once out the door and in freefall I was fine. So, while on the airplane, the door open and I started getting that feeling of wanting to scream for mommy, I told myself that I need to get out ASAP. I knew door=fear, freefall=fun :).

It will get better, I promise ...

O

You've just made solo status - how many jumps do you have at the moment? Just curious.

For me, there were two things that allowed me to relax in the plane:

- I found out what the maintenance schedule for the plane was, and met the mechanic (DZO!!), and got to know the pilots that fly us.

- Exposure to the environment; staying current is so overlooked, but for me, it's the number one contributor to being relaxed and confident while skydiving. Packing is even a currency issue!

After even a two or three week layoff, I have a bit of nervousness on the way to altitude, so I go through a set routine of breathing and relaxing my entire body (except my bladder!!!). By the time the door opens, I'm feeling good and can't wait for that rush of air through the cabin.

Have fun and be safe!!
T.I.N.S.

The only thing you could do is to keep on jumping. After a while and more knowledge and skill about your equipment and technique, the nervousness will go away. But this nervousness should be replaced slowly by a sort of soft feeling of being alert. A bit of "fear" before jumping means you are aware of the potential danger involved. From my point of view, it is the best way to stay alive or if you want, don't take anything for granted. Each jump is different then stay alert for each one of them and never become complacent.
Psychological spirit of the jumpers is as:
1) A novice skydiver (A license) is marveled and eager to learn
2) An intermediate skydiver (B license) knows everything in the world about skydiving and nothing wrong can happen.
3) An advanced skydiver (C license) is astonished s(he) has gone that far
4) A master skydiver (D license) is surprised s(he) is still alive
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

2) An intermediate skydiver (B license) knows everything in the world about skydiving and nothing wrong can happen.

I must be some kind of ... "freak of jumper nature" ... according to your categories I fall into “B” … and I feel nothing like I know everything in the world; just the opposite, in fact. As I’ve been around a bit more (months, versus weeks), I’ve read more, heard more and seen more, I have become more acutely aware of the dangers involved ... and my fear grew acordingly.

O

I must be some kind of ... "freak of jumper nature" ... according to your categories I fall into “B” … and I feel nothing like I know everything in the world; just the opposite, in fact. As I’ve been around a bit more (months, versus weeks), I’ve read more, heard more and seen more, I have become more acutely aware of the dangers involved ... and my fear grew acordingly.

O

And I have a C and I still think I know everything in the world about skydiving and nothing wrong can happen ;);):P

I've just made solo status and I get the jitters before I exit the plane???!!!

I would say this is not so uncommon... on my first 20 or so jumps I would get "door anticipation" nervousness, later it moved to "opening anticipation" nervousness, and now I'm pretty much relaxed, knowing what to expect, and being prepared for the worst. It goes away with more jumps and more knowledge of your gear. But I agree with others that a little fear is good... you are jumping out of an airplane!! I found that practicing my EPs and concentrating on a good approach to the door and subsequent exit took my mind off the jitters.

lol door jitters?! Wait till you jump your first pack job!:P haha jp

Good to be aware, keeps you from doing something stupid I would assume.

-Evo

LOL +1 I was sure my rag wasn't going to open on my first pack job. The funny thing is after i found out it would open if i pack it i was fine from then on. Another thing is that before i became a skydiver i never had a hint of nervousness in any plane small or large. I just practice my ep's and think about the jump to keep my mind off the "what iffs".
EARTH! Short bus of the universe,
since the year T+10.3 billion!

REV. DUDEMIESTER D.S.#120

Sorry to hijack your thread, but since I just made my first jump, I was just curious about something. The nervousness at the door will go away, you guys say, but how about nervousness before opening the parachute? I had that during my tandem jump. The nervousness at the door going away seems natural, because nothing really bad can happen while jumping. However, the moment of opening your parachute is critical, so does the nervousness at that point ever stop?

To some extent this will never go away, and it shouldn't. What you are doing is an un-natural dangerous act, and if you get to the point where there is no fear, you should quit.
You'll get used to it and not notice it over time, but someone did a study of skydiver's heart rates, and the two highest were just prior to exit and at pull time.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but since I just made my first jump, I was just curious about something. The nervousness at the door will go away, you guys say, but how about nervousness before opening the parachute? I had that during my tandem jump. The nervousness at the door going away seems natural, because nothing really bad can happen while jumping. However, the moment of opening your parachute is critical, so does the nervousness at that point ever stop?

In my case, the nerves at the door shifted to nerves at pull time. As now I'm recovering from a broken ankle (due to a botched landing), I suspect that my nerves will shift yet once more, from pull time to landing :P ...

As a student it was explained to me that the highest point of anxiety for a student is at exit and the highest point of anxiety for an experienced skydiver, is at pull time. That, to me, makes perfect sense ...

O

I did the same thing, when I did my first tandem, about 30 seconds into freefall I had this gut wrenching fear of the opening of the chute. Now, that I pack my own chute, understand what where can cause malfunctions and know that what is packed in my container is my work, and I know I did it right, the opening is way more enjoyable, and I can start to worry about on heading openings, and things I can adjust during the pack to change the way it opens. It'll ease up over time, you just dont know the equipment well so you dont know what to expect.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

To some extent this will never go away, and it shouldn't. What you are doing is an un-natural dangerous act, and if you get to the point where there is no fear, you should quit.
You'll get used to it and not notice it over time, but someone did a study of skydiver's heart rates, and the two highest were just prior to exit and at pull time.

This is how I feel. I'm always nervous in the plane. I've had experienced jumpers (1000+) tell me that they are a bit nervous in the plane.

There are pretty severe consequences for making a mistake or not handling a malfunction properly.
I deal with the nervousness by double checking my straps, handles and 3-rings (the check of 3 3s), reviewing my EPs
For me, the nervousness keeps complacency away.

If it ever goes away completely, then it's time to get out.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Last fall, I came back from a pretty lengthy break.

I'm nervous at strange times. I'm extremely nervous getting into the plane, because I'm clumsy and awkward and its hard enough to get 5 people into a Cessna without somebody like me.

I get nervous climbing out of the plane, especially if I'm first out, since again I'm not coordinated and suspect that I'm going to kick people in the face.

But mostly, I get nervous on the drive to the dropzone because I have to socialize, and I feel like the socially awkward nerd trying to hang out with the cool kids.

Hello OlympiaStoica, Are you from Greek origin ? Thoses 4 categories I mentioned apply to the majority of skydivers ie. the males since you know that females represent about 1 out of 7-8 skydivers. But there are exceptions for sure. When I say about a B license holder I have more in mind people having between 200 to 400 jumps. Many of those feel invulnerable and it is difficult to get them attending the Safety Day for instance. When they do something wrong (bad separation, low pull, not respecting the circuit...) they have always an excuse if you see what I mean. Something tells me this is not the case for you and good for you. If you still feel nervous at pull time I hope you feel a great happiness after your parachute is fully and well deployed.:$

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.