Gato

SOS System Question for Riggers

I did a search on this, and could not find anything that addressed this question.

Can a container that is currently equipped with an SOS (1-hand operation) be converted to a two-point system (cutaway pillow and silver reserve handle)?

Sorry if this has been addressed already.

Thanks!
T.I.N.S.

You'll need a new cutaway handle. See the manufacturer's website for cost or http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=161&level=2&parent=27

The housing should be usable, just will be switched to opposite sides. Appropriate attachment velcro added to the right main lift web. You may or may not need a new ripcord. If not the release cables will need to be removed.

Cost will vary from rigger to rigger. May be a point of debate but I would suggest this needs a master rigger. Or better yet send to the manufacturer. Give them a call for the cost.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I did this change on a Rigging Innovations Telesis last month.

The Telesis SOS handle mounts where the left mudflap normally is. The conversion required removing the SOS mount and replacing it with a standard mudflap. All the SOS cable housings (including ripcord housing) were too short for the two-handled system, so RI sent me new cable housings. Changing the cable housings was a simple matter of untacking the old ones and tacking the new ones in place.

The rig already had pockets and velcro for the new cutaway handle and ripcord, so no modification needed there.

Converting your rig should be no harder and may be much easier, since most rigs use the reserve ripcord pocket to hold a SOS handle shaped very much like their standard ripcord.

Mark

Just wondering what they charged you. My dzo has two telesis rigs (2nd hand), for two seasons we have not used them. The reason is, after a couple (aff) students rode R's, we looked over the rigs, a few of us riggers feel that 1. cutaway cable to short on RSL side and 2. the handle placement on the mudflap is a bad idea for AFF rigs and two easy for a hand to dislodge during an AFF from hell or the rollovers.

With both rigs after an LV. 1 students reported that main opened and "one side released, so I pulled the handle, but my other canopy was already out" after two in a row the dzo grounded the rigs.

IMO there fine if, 1. longer cables were in place and the handle was moved to a "normal" location. With that said, rig's still sit wasting away when a minor fix costing only a few bucks would put two good student rigs in the air again.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

This problem could have been solved by a simple phone call to Rigging Innovations.
If you tell R.I., they will cheerfully send you new handles.
Hint: if you ask Sandy Reid, he might even send handles for free!

SOS handles are a complex compromise. The challenge is to build a system that will DEFINITELY cutaway the main before deploying the reserve.... and the pull cannot be too long - for people with short arms.
To satisfy all those variables, SOS handles have shorter (yellow) cutaway cables and longer reserve ripcords.
Generally, SOS cutaway cables only extend 4 inches (3.5 inches minimum) beyond the white loops on the risers.
Since it is difficult to conceal those short cable ends, SOS main risers usually need special cable channels - that extend down to the bottom edge of the confluence wrap on main risers. Hint, the most graceful cutaway cable channels are installed on Mirages.
Then you have to cut the cutaway cables to different lengths to ensure that the (longer) cable on the RSL side releases last.
SOS ripcord cables tend to be 3 or 4 inches longer than regular ripcords, hanging the ball below the bottom edge of the D-handle, increasing the risk of accidental deployment.

Then you still have to train students.

To quote Yoda:
Pull or don't pull.
Sissified, half-hearted, limp-wristed, faggoty attempts only complicate the problem.

I understand that and said why don't we talk this over with Sandy and see about getting fixed. I can't make a DZO pull their head out of their ass. Not my rig, not my money, not my dz, not my student sitting on the ground waiting for a rig, and not my problem.

Just wondered what it cost homeboy over there so I can throw out again next time the issiue comes up.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo