brierebecca

I have an interview tomorrow

Well? How did it go? Do you feel like you made a good impression? Do you like the potential of this firm after having spent most of the day there?

I LOVED the firm. I only hope they loved me.:)
I think I did okay. The first hour and a half was just me sitting in a conference room with attorneys firing questions at me from all directions. But I mostly talked about my husband (because they wanted to know why I wanted to come to Chattanooga) and skydiving. I talked some about my current position, and one random attorney started quizzing me on HIPAA, but I think it went okay.

Then I went to lunch with 2 of the managing partners, and that was fine. I hear in 2 weeks - I'll update when I know.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Here's my advice from having been in your position and from now being an owner of a law firm:

1) An interview is a two way street - you are interviewing THEM as much as they are interviewing YOU. Know that both you and the prospective employer have options - even if they say "yes" you can say "no." Be aware of that. None of this "I feel like it's my only shot" stuff. That comes through in interviews.

1a) To go with number 1, ask questions. Start with talking to the receptionist when you get there - what a GREAT in that will give you by showing you value the opinion of the staff. Staff will help you succeed. Get them on your side from the start.

As far as the interview, wouldn't it be nice to know if this is a new position they are creating or whether you are replacing someone? You can get more information about the firm from questioning along this line than, "Tell me about the firm's practice." By answering questions about the position itself, you get an idea of the firm's financial condition, the work environment, and job security.

Asking questions like this reinforces that you are also interviewing them. It'd be nice to know if you are replacing someone - ask why the person left, what's going on, etc. Take the side of the employer if it's a discharged employee, but also bear into mind those reasons as to whether you run the chance of seeing yourself there.

2) Show them you've got BALLS. Lawyers value balls. Partners value balls. Show them yours. It sticks out and it shows. Sure, you are nervous, but it won't stop you.

A quarter of this profession is balls - putting your ass on the line and taking your lumps if it doesn't work. Partners like balls on their employees because it means they need to show less of it themselves. Don't tell them you've got brass ones - show them though audacity and through doign what an attorney does - getting to the point.

Examples? If you are asked, "What are your strength and weaknesses?" respond with, "How can I answer that. Tell me more about the position and I'll tell you what parts I'll be asking for more help with. Why don't we come back to this question later once I know how to respond to this in a pointed way."

Or, if you think the interview is not going well, tell them, "You know, I'm thinking you are all just going through the motions right now. I prepared for some cutting and insightful questions, and you all are playing softball. Challenge me." By then, you should think to yourself, "What have I got to lose?"

Or, "Where do you want to be in five years." Say, "I don't know. Isn't that a question to ask after my probationary period ends? Right now my job is to fill a position. My career development will be based more upon what I do well and don't do as well based on my work performance. Ask me that in six months when you have a better idea of my skills and talents."

Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls.

3) Be professional. That doesn't mean that you can't be cheerful or even slightly playful. But maintain your professionalism throughout. It's like there are ways to act professional while barhopping with the bosses. THink of it THAT way.

4) Whatever your faults are, point them out and spin them. I recently hired a law clerk who was underqualified for the position because he has not had evidence or civil procedure. His cover letter said it right up front but added, "I can learn it and know how you want it right from the start." I thought to myself, "I gotta meet this guy." Thus far, he's the best hire I ever made. DO NOT hide your faults.

5) Be reasonable and real-world with your expectations. What I mean is, as a junior associate, expect that you will make less money than any other attorney and put in more hours any other employee. Let them know it won't be a surprise to you. Trust me - it will get you far for them to know you are realistic in your expectations.

6) Are you in the top ten or twenty percent of your class? Here's the dirty secret about high grades - the ones with high grades have just as much chance for success or failure as I did. But it's easier to justify a failure later by saying, "He was in the top 5% - how would we know he lacks the ability to counsel a client?" than with a center-mass candidate. Know this, and point this out if they ask.

My wife is hotter than your wife.