freeflajankie

Horses and Equipment

Wow, I wake up and all the sudden all these posts :)
Thanks all.
I was our riding yesterday, and she was in such a pissy mood but it was all good:) It's definitely fun but hard work...

I got such a good deal with this lease...
The horse is a Mustang that is 6 years old 14.2 hands so not real big, but super sweet.
She needed someone to be able to be with her pretty much 7 days a week.
Somebody that could ride her and take care of her.
And that is exactly what I was looking for.
The best thing is she makes me look like a good rider:)

They do have lessons there so if I want some I can get it.

The owners told me I didn't need to buy anything in tack/saddle and all that good stuff, I just feel better if I can hve my own stuff, since she is kind of my horse but still not...
See I'm rambling I'm so happy... Every Christmas since I was little I asked Santa for a horse, and finally...
I think this will work out really good.

Any way all I wanted to say was thanks for all the advice...
Skydivers are a bunch of insensitive jerks...
And that's why I don't skydive anymore!

"we're gonna be getting a pair of horses in the near future"

Ask around at your local feed store and seek out your local Farrier. He is probably the best one to ask if there are any horse for sale. He would also be able to give you insight as to the temperment, horses health, ect, since he probably has worked on them.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

keep it comin y'all!!! i'm lovin this. just lovin' it.

learnin so much from the pearls you're castin out.

here's a question... my horse barn is maybe 26' x 30 or so... inside it's got a concrete slab that's 10' wide by 30' long... the rest is dirt. right now it's totally open inside. no stalls, no walls, etc.

i'm assuming the concrete slab would be for a cleaning area/vet/shoeing area, tack room, feed storage, etc. and the dirt area would be for stalls etc... do any of you have horses in a barn w/o stalls? right now we're only thinking of getting two horses, and I wonder about having just one long wall that would seperate the horses from the tack room, feed, etc. if the horses "get along" is there really any need to seperate them into seperate stalls?

to have them together would save some $$ in construction. lemme know if this doesn't make sense...

If you don't need to stall them, then don't. DO have some way for them to get away from the weather (rain/wind shelter). I've seen a square pavilion divide off on the diagonal to make triangular "lean to's" for wind/rain shelter for livestock - N/S/E/W coverage all in one 20' building!

You could make a stall on either side of the "runway" that's 8' deep and 20' wide (20' down the length of the building). Dig 'em out and bed them deep with a sand bottom and sawdust / shavings - I'm talking at least 18"-24" of shavings, with another 6" of sand below that.

The downside of stalling is that horses are sloppy eaters. They drop food and hay all over the floor of the stall, piss and shit in it, then trample it in and lay in it. You'll spend 30 minutes a day picking out stalls and changing out water/feed buckets, easily. Then, once a month or so you'll spend a full day or more mucking out all the crap from the stalls and laying fresh shavings.

DEFINITELY make sure that your feed and hay are where the livestock CAN'T get into them, and I STRONGLY recommend you keep ALL of your feed in heavy plastic or steel barrels. You DON'T want a rat problem...trust me on this!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yup... I'd actually rather trim up a biter than a leaner... I can *watch* his head out of the corner of my eye... but there's no way to get away from 1200 lbs leaning into your hip...and, to be honest, when I ran into a biter, I'd tell the owner that the next time I came out, it was $20 a nip!!

Hell yeah! Hit 'em in the wallet. Maybe, they'll work on that nipping problem. Laugh

Chuck

Yup... worked a treat... made me $60 extra a couple times when the owner didn't take me serious, too... of course, the fact that the farrier was right there agreeing with me (I was an apprentice only) didn't hurt any!! ;)

That there's funny!
Folks have to learn. Sometimes... the hard way!

Chuck

keep it comin y'all!!! i'm lovin this. just lovin' it.

learnin so much from the pearls you're castin out.

here's a question... my horse barn is maybe 26' x 30 or so... inside it's got a concrete slab that's 10' wide by 30' long... the rest is dirt. right now it's totally open inside. no stalls, no walls, etc.

i'm assuming the concrete slab would be for a cleaning area/vet/shoeing area, tack room, feed storage, etc. and the dirt area would be for stalls etc... do any of you have horses in a barn w/o stalls? right now we're only thinking of getting two horses, and I wonder about having just one long wall that would seperate the horses from the tack room, feed, etc. if the horses "get along" is there really any need to seperate them into seperate stalls?

to have them together would save some $$ in construction. lemme know if this doesn't make sense...

I would say, separate them. Horses, like people, get 'ornry' when confined together. Also, it keeps the 'Alpha' horse, usually, a mare from getting all the food!

Chuck

I've tried this and... it works! When the horse goes to nip... tap his shin with the side of your boot. He'll equate that, when he nips, his shin is gonna hurt.

I've had to do that before... learned to keep an extra rasp stuck in a back pocket too... they go in to bite and give themself a shave!! :D

Aw, yeah. Kinda' 'passive-aggressive'. A couple times of his trying to nip that rasp, that back pocket, won't look so good!:D

Chuck

Wow, I wake up and all the sudden all these posts :)
Thanks all.
I was our riding yesterday, and she was in such a pissy mood but it was all good:) It's definitely fun but hard work...

I got such a good deal with this lease...
The horse is a Mustang that is 6 years old 14.2 hands so not real big, but super sweet.
She needed someone to be able to be with her pretty much 7 days a week.
Somebody that could ride her and take care of her.
And that is exactly what I was looking for.
The best thing is she makes me look like a good rider:)

They do have lessons there so if I want some I can get it.

The owners told me I didn't need to buy anything in tack/saddle and all that good stuff, I just feel better if I can hve my own stuff, since she is kind of my horse but still not...
See I'm rambling I'm so happy... Every Christmas since I was little I asked Santa for a horse, and finally...
I think this will work out really good.

Any way all I wanted to say was thanks for all the advice...

That's just too cool! Sounds to me like, you're off to a good start. It's going to take time and patience but, it will be so worth it. One thing. When you work with your horse... leave the watch at the house. Don't set a time limit on fun. Horses don't know our time... just theirs.

Chuck

"we're gonna be getting a pair of horses in the near future"

Ask around at your local feed store and seek out your local Farrier. He is probably the best one to ask if there are any horse for sale. He would also be able to give you insight as to the temperment, horses health, ect, since he probably has worked on them.

Bobbi

If, I may stick my nose in here...
Bobbi, makes an excellent point here.
If, I may add: Avoid auctions or sales. These are for the 'really knowledgeable' horse folks. I've seen some really good looking horses purchased at sales or auctions that weren't worth a shit... after the 'dope' wore off.
When you get your 'eye' on that horse that really looks good to you, take a farrier or someone really knowledgeable to look at that horse with you. Like buying a used car and you get a mechanic to look at it first.

Chuck

"The downside of stalling is that horses are sloppy eaters. They drop food and hay all over the floor of the stall, piss and shit in it, then trample it in and lay in it. You'll spend 30 minutes a day picking out stalls and changing out water/feed buckets, easily. Then, once a month or so you'll spend a full day or more mucking out all the crap from the stalls and laying fresh shavings."

This point right here is one of the reasons to stall them. It keeps the crap, food droppings, ect contained to one spot.

Bobbi

"The downside of stalling is that horses are sloppy eaters. They drop food and hay all over the floor of the stall, piss and shit in it, then trample it in and lay in it. You'll spend 30 minutes a day picking out stalls and changing out water/feed buckets, easily. Then, once a month or so you'll spend a full day or more mucking out all the crap from the stalls and laying fresh shavings."

This point right here is one of the reasons to stall them. It keeps the crap, food droppings, ect contained to one spot.

Bobbi

Getcha one of those 'Nure spreaders. The horse poop, really make the grass grow. The neighbors may not like the smell when you water but, you'll have a beautiful lawn! :D

Chuck

Lots of great things going on in this thread!I walked away awhile a it ran off in a blaze!B|

Good points about farriers.Find a good one b/c this is the most important person that will ever be around your horse other than your vet.If not for him a horse can be lame or worse.If you dont have a healthy horse it doesnt matter if you have the best trainer in the country working with it b/c a sick/lame horse just isnt going to perform and train well,period.

Always end training on a positive experiece.Very important b/c it builds trust and the bond between you and the horse.No matter what happened good or bad during riding/training you can groom them down as a 'good job' or as a cleaning of the slate and no matter how hard you were in training,you still think hes a good horse type thing.(kinda like getting a hug after your dad spanked you when you're young.)We always brush our horses down from top to bottom...mane, tail, hooves and all.Not only does it feel good,just like a massage would for you after a long workout at the gym,but it also gets off all that dried sweat that stays on their coat,especially everywhere your tack has touched them.Getting that stuff off will make them feel so much better b/c,while they are actually sweating they are cooling themselves through the sweat.But once it has dried and is just stuck in their coat it can make them hotter b/c although its a thin layer it does trap in some heat and in hotter climates like where I live in TX it makes a difference.Treats arent a bad thing either if done in moderation.Ours like the pepermint flavored ones.

Auctions.Dont get your first horse from an auction.Try to find a reliable seller.Talking to your local farrier or even going up to your local feed store will probably help because those people know the ranching/horse community and whos buying/selling what.Also, there are horse trader magazines just like there are car trader magazines,pick one up.

Alot of our horses are rescues.The ASPCA took them away from abusive owners and auction them off.We bought 2 horses that way.Let me tell ya,even the ASPCA lied at auction to get those horses gone.My horse,Toby,only a few months old at the time,had to stand with an IV in his neck for 3 days before we thought he was even going to live let alone survive being hauled back to our place.Not to mention he has a bad ankle b/c as a foal his mom stepped on it a broke it.It healed ok but the vet said he cant be ridden but short distances/light weights.The mare we bought (Shalamar) with him looked beautiful in all the pics we saw that were supposed to be 'current'.We didnt get to see her at the auction b/c she was still at the abusive woman's ranch b/c the shelter didnt have room for all of them.So when we won her and went to pick her up she was atleast 500lbs under weight,nothing but skin and bones.She was in a tiny pen with no food,no shade and no water and had been for several days.>:(

But we fattened them both up and they got their spirits back.The mare even foaled once before she passed away 4years after we bought her.(she was alot older than the auction said too...by almost double). Now Toby is our prize stud and boy is he flashy with that Arabian air to him.

Even though that auction was bad news we dont regret rescuing Toby or Shalamar.We still continue to rescue horses.Every time my dad sees a neglected horse for sale he buys it and nurses it back to health.We've rescued horses from as far away as Canada...2 beautiful mare Paints.Over 3/4 of our 27horse herd is made up of rescues.Although they take alot more work than an average horse thats had training,its worth it.You have to overcome so much badhabit,maltreatment and mistrust.But when you do,that one little breakthrough:the one time they dont shy away,the one time they let you touch them,the one time they let you come up behind them without being jumpy,the one time they let you touch them with a rope out of love and for training and not to be beaten like their memory would like to believe...its the greatest feeling.Just earning those small steps can make you feel like you've won the Kentucky Derby.Like I said,its lots of hard,frustrating,tedious work and you cant just jump right into training with a rescue,so its not a good idea for a first purchase.But once people are much more experience,please! rescue those tha need our help.They 're just like a disabled child, they may not look as great as the flashy well-trained ones,but they have so much love and loyalty to give and they'll do anything for you once you take the time to work with them.:$We're trying to work with both actually.Once we build my parents log house and finish the new barn we're looking into opening an Equine Therapy Center for the disabled.:)
Anywho,enough about us.Good magazines: Horse & Rider, Equius or if you want specific breeds you can look for Bloodhorse (Throughbreds) AQHA, Arabian Times,Minature Horse World etc. There are tons out there.I guarantee that once you buy/subscribe to one,the others will be knocking down your door.You can usually find copies at some feed stores like Tractor Supply Co. Heck, Some Barnes and Noble carry them.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

What a cool story! You might check-out Western Horseman magazine. There are some good tips on working and training horses. Sounds like you are on your way!. All the best to you and let us know, from time to time how it's going. This has really been an enjoyable thread... glad you started it!:D I learned some things too.

Chuck

"Once we build my parents log house and finish the new barn we're looking into opening an Equine Therapy Center for the disabled"

This is how I got my start. I taught disabled kids...mentally and emotionally, how to ride. I went to The Equestrian Special Olympics several times with a bunch of them. The best experiences I have ever had!!

We bought one horse from an Auction, a Morgan. Beautiful horse but not right in the head. Yep, she was drugged when we purchased her. A hard lesson to learn, expensive too. I was the only one who could ride her, great ride for the most part, but it was like a light switch would go off and she would become a completely different horse. Tried everything with her. Found out that she had some health issues among other things. She ended up dyeing from a burst blood vessel in her brain about 18 months after we got her. Went for the shot gun and when we came out she was down and gone.:( (She was running around crashing into the barn, gates, shaking her head, in tremendous pain.) Damn shame, she was a beauty and deserved better, though the last 18 months of her life were probably her best!!

Bobbi

Ok, I went out to the horse after work, and she came right up to me and she was very sweet and it seemed like it would be a good day to ride.

I got her groomed and saddled up and me and this other lady where going out for a small trail ride.
As soon as I got on her, she was tripping and not happy at all. And then one of the other horses spooked her.
She got on her back legs and then bucked and took off like a bad out of hell, then she trips and falls, and of course I fall off too...
Neither me or the horse was hurt... But it was sure scary...
:o
I got her back in the barn to check her out and tried to calm her down.
So I'm thinking a trail ride will not happen today.
So I'll just ride her in the ring. What a hassle to get her out of the barn, but finally I got her out and got on her.
She wouldn't get in the ring and she was not cooperating at all... And I could only do so much.

I finally gave up. And figured I'd give it a go again tomorrow, when the owner is there.

So a small question, how long should you keep trying, when do you know when to give up?
She just wouldn't give in, I tried with treats and I was nice and all...
But a 1000lb horse is stronger than me.

I just don't know what came over her.
First time I rode her she was a dream, she made me look so good.
Second time she was a bit harder, and then now this. We are obviously still getting to know each other... But damn

Ankie

No treats! She was bein' a piss-head. Rather than riding her around the arena, Ground work her. You, stand in the middle of the arena and make her trot in circles around the arena. Take a longe line and hold one end and toss the other end toward her butt to get her going. Shorten-up the longe line in your hand so you have about 3-4ft. of line and twirl it over your head like a lariat, toward her butt to keep her moving. Kiss to her so she knows to keep going. Get her turned around and work her the other way for 5-times. She will learn, if she screws-up, she's going to have to work. She'll get the idea. By giving her a treat, she thinks that every time she tosses you on the ground, she gets a cookie. After trotting her in circles tell her to whoa and be sure, when she stops, she faces you. If, she does it right, give her a quick rub on the head. If, she doesn't, get her moving around the arena. When she does it right, and each time she whoas, give her a rub and tell her she did good. She'll equate that wiith a good thing. I don't think, she knows you well enough. Before you ride her again, go through this routine. With her saddle on. After a few times, get her to whoa and give her a rub and get on her back and work her around the arens. To the left and to the right. You have to work both sides of her brain. Whatever you do on the left... do the same on the right. Make sense? Good luck. You guys will be all-right. You may have to delay the trail ride for awhile but, she'll know you better.

Chuck

Bobbi

Getcha one of those 'Nure spreaders. The horse poop, really make the grass grow. The neighbors may not like the smell when you water but, you'll have a beautiful lawn! :D

Sure, but if he has the acreage to NOT need to stall them, I say let them wander... grass graze supplemented with grain/hay is better than just hay/grain, anyway... and the horses get a bit of exercise, too...

Chuck

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Definitely agree with the ground work!! If she's a bit skittish, you may want to take a bit of string and loosely tie the stirrups together underneath the belly so they're not flopping around.

I strongly recommend you at least get some of the John Lyons videos... they cover all this and much more and give some great ideas on working with the horse and problem solving....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Bobbi

Sure, but if he has the acreage to NOT need to stall them, I say let them wander... grass graze supplemented with grain/hay is better than just hay/grain, anyway... and the horses get a bit of exercise, too...

Chuck

Oh, yeah! That's the way to go. Let 'em be horses. As long as they have a good shelter, where they can get out of the weather. That's the best way.
Here, where I live, you need about 5-acres per horse! Rain is kinda rare.:D Good grass country, about 2-acres per horse.

Chuck

Definitely agree with the ground work!! If she's a bit skittish, you may want to take a bit of string and loosely tie the stirrups together underneath the belly so they're not flopping around.

I strongly recommend you at least get some of the John Lyons videos... they cover all this and much more and give some great ideas on working with the horse and problem solving....

Lyons, is good. He's another trainer, who's ideas I like. Personally, I really got into what Monty Roberts teaches. Although, I do have all of John Lyons' boks. Good to read at night and then get out there the next day and git after it! Parelli, might have good methods but, to me, he too much 'show'.

Chuck

"As long as they have a good shelter, where they can get out of the weather."

Its like the old saying goes...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Some horses don't know when to come in out of the rain, sleet, ect. Dumb ass horse stands under a tree when there is a bad thunderstorm and the tree gets zapped along with the horse. I have always kept my horses stalled at night. I guess for me it gives me piece of mind that I know they are safely "tucked" in for the night and not crossing property lines, eating my garden, raising hell over at the neighbors or playing in traffic, or being stalked by one of the wild animals that is out in the woods.

Bobbi

I agree with Chuck on the whole ground work. Like I said always end you day with your horse on a positive note but also you need to retain your status as the leader of the herd. She got the upper hand yesterday and you need to let her know who is in charge, of course in the kindest gentlest way. That is one thing about horses, the way you left them yesterday may not be the way you find them today. They are constantly changing. They have good moods, pissy moods, bad moods, or just "I don't give a flip one way or the other mood". Hold off on the treats. Maybe a treat as a greeting, slice of apple or carrot, but thats it. After she has done EVERYTHING you have asked her to do and has done it to YOUR satisfaction give her all the treats she can handle. But you HAVE to be in charge! Don't let a 1000lb horse push you around. Grab her ear, push her back, get her attention so she knows your not "playing" games. OBTW, I am not telling you nothing that I haven't done to my own horse. I have pushed a horse and the horse looked at me as if to say, "WTF?":D:D

Good Luck and don't get discouraged!! Welcome to the world of horse ownership, what a complex world it can be!!

Bobbi

OK, you horse saavy people out there.

This is the horse we are buying. 16 years old, trail trained, good all around horse.

But - what breed is he? I've heard he's a mix, but of what? And what's up with that coloring?

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

Thanks for the tips.

She didn't get any treats after she was bad.
I was smoothing her up before we went out.

My plan was to do some groundwork, since obviously riding her at that point wasn't going to happen. But I simply couldn't get her out of the damn barn.

I'll definately look in to that Video, thanks:)

This is definately hard work, but I'm sure it will be rewarding once we get to know eachother better and work each other out.

Anyway again, thanks for all you guy's tips :)

Looks like a Paint QH to me... I'm not seeing any of the "snowflake" or "blanket" patterns that normally signify an Apaloosa...

Paints come in all sorts of colors and patterns... [url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/mnealtx/Horses&image=buddiesbest.jpg&img=&tt="]clicky[url]
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706