adventurechick

Craziest Job

Ive done this job at two different places at different times in my life.
the actual title was "loader" but at the first one I was called a 'rat'.
We loaded cabinets onto trucks in 3 levels, b/c I was the smallest I got up on the top level and loaded. It was tight, dity work. Thus the 'rat' label.

Then at a well known shipping company, I was one of the 'packing gorillas' that loaded the trucks. If you people knew what happens to your boxes while in transit, you'd do a better job of packing them.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

If you people knew what happens to your boxes while in transit, you'd do a better job of packing them.

That's so true...I worked for a very large company in Seattle, and I didn't make planes, but delivered the US Mail, interoffice mail and all the office supplies.

Fastest way to load office supplies into a small pickup with canopy is standing on the ground, right outside the tailgate, and throwing all aforementioned supplies into different corners of pickup, depending on where it was going.

Boxes of copy paper were not thrown, but I was pretty good at the shot put (modified form) after a while.

Wonder what happens to small office supplies when boxes of copy paper land on them? I never found out.

I did find out that bending at the waist, twisting and turning while lifting boxes of copy paper was sufficent motovation to use proper lifting techniques with boxes of paper. But it wasn't nearly as much fun...

J
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

Once we got the house up on wheels and ready to roll, one totally stupid person had to get up and ride the roof to catch lines. Some lines were telephone lines, no problems. Some lines were power lines, very careful work there. No problem, I'd lay on my belly on the leading edge of the house as we approached the wires, I'd catch the wire with my 2X4, pick it up and start walking backwards as the house was pulled past the poles. At some point, I'd drop the wire, jump over it and go back up front to catch the next one.

That job should have been totally safe with the advanced equipment that you were using.

When I was a teenager in the Bay Area my best friends oldest brother was a reposesser that worked for NARB (nationtal auto recovery bureau) out of South San Francisco. This was a company that banks turned to for hard to find/get cars up for repo. We were actually payed as "drivers" that only drove the repo guys car, but, well, cmon, what other chance would a kid like me get to drive those (sometimes)nice cars. We ran accounts from downtown financial district in S.F., the Marin County coke dealer, gated mountain road with 2 houses on it up in Clearlake, the bull dike up in GuernevilleB|, and the volluntary 25 ft. southwind motorhome in Petaluma. That has to be the "craziest" job I've had. We even took a car from a lady late one night in Rohnert Park and this lady comes out and it turns out to be my 3rd grade teacher:D

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I'm from the birthplace of Harvey Firestone, founder of Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. Several years ago, there were plans to move his original home from the homestead to the Firestone Museum in Michigan.

After plans were revealed about moving the house, the company hired us for night time security. I guess the idea of grabbing some souvenirs became more appealing. So for like a month straight, I sat in this house overnight, just me and my SIG SAUER. Ya know, some freaky shit starts happenin when you're alone in a museum.

VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT