davidfreefly

Alien Skin/Diamondback Fabrics

Hi everyone,
Im ordering a new rig and i want to know your experience with ALIEN SKIN fabric from TSE tear drops and Paratec Next. (similar to diamondback from sunpah).

Is a resistant fabric compared to cordura? durability? damage colors with light?

Any tip would help. Thanks

Please use title case (not upper case) in your subject lines. Thanks - slotperfect

Is a resistant fabric compared to cordura? durability? damage colors with light?

I own Sun Path's Odyssey. On my rig from fabric like this is made reserve container (gold), pop of the reserve PC (green) and parts of the main container flap (gold&green). Since 2004 i have seen no light damages.
This fabric is not so wear resistant like cordura. For this reason i have not picked it for "loaded" parts of the rig, i. e. main container.

Enclosed are sample pictures of my rig.

I have a friend that has a sweet Odyssey, but most of the rig is Diamondback and it is showing significant wear. The closing flap has threads fraying all over the place and overall the fabric just doesn't hold up like cordura.

If you decide to use it, just be cautious of where you put it. On the reserve container it looks nice, i.e. the rig that is posted in this thread. But I would stay away from main parts of the container, ESPECIALLY the main closing flap.

Diamondback has the durability, if not less than that of Parapac. That stuff just feels cheesy and cheap to me. For the money that gear costs, I'll stick with Cordura.

We kind of went through this with Antron, several years ago. For all around good looks and toughness, I'll stick with Cordura. It has been proven to take a beating and still, look good. I don't believe, I'd want a material on a high-dollar rig that won't 'hold-up'.

Chuck

Dear all
Alien skin is our Trade Mark for a 3D woven fabric made from 500 denier original Dupont Cordura fiber.
It is woven in Gemany exclusively for Paratec and TSE.
It is as durable as 2D Cordura (as you know it) but has this nice matt/shiny texture.
It has nothing to do with Sunpath's Diamondback, wich is appliqued on top of a Cordura or Parapack backing, but not as a load carrying fabric such as Alien Skin.
If you need any more info on it, please contact me under [email protected]

Best Regards

Stefan Ertler
Paratec GmbH
Germany
Gardner : She looks fast !
Truman Sparks : Yeah, it's the stripes.