Michele

I'm a little concerned...

KILL KILL KILL >:( it's your right and your duty to kill first, ask questions later

Put the politics in speakers corner, not bonfire. Besides, there I can give your inane post the ridicule it deserves... I'll not threadcrap Michele's thread.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'll not threadcrap Michele's thread.

Thanks for that, Mike.

Well, my landlord isn't going to do anything...which is about what I figured. So I'll have to come up with a plan on my own. So I'm going to look into the window locks shortly (my first free day is next Monday...), and maybe talking to some of the people at Lowes will give me some idea. I'm also thinking about planting bouganvilla outside my bathroom window, or maybe a climbing rose.

As for the PD, they didn't even come out. I called them on the non-emergency line, 'cause that's what this was - a non-emergency. Since no life, limb or property was being definitively threatened, I was told I could come in and make a report, but they won't send someone out because of this. Now, had I found a broken pane in the window, or had I found a broken/picked lock, it would be a different story; but since I didn't, all they will do is take a walk-in report (i.e. make a note of it in the community concerns log). That will be all right, because I have some time tomorrow, and I understand their position. And yes, I've got photos, and will bring them in, as well.

Tonight, walking in from the garage, I was watchful. There was nothing amiss, even the tomato stake that I placed under the window hadn't moved. So I don't think anyone was lurking tonight - as far as I can tell.

For the several folks who pm'd me wondering why I just don't move, it's simply because a) I can't afford to, and b) even if I could afford to, I am all of 5 minutes away from my father, and I won't move far from him at all. So my situation is somewhat limited.

However, I will be careful, and I will take some measures of safety - both walking to and from the car as well as when I'm home...and to be honest, in the light of day, I wonder if I'm just not being paranoid...but then I think about it, and realize I'm not. My community is safe, but there is no place free from crime, and my unit is easily break-into-able. I'll also do some things to my place to make it safer and more secure, both while I'm home and while I'm away.

Thanks for all the advice - both in PMs and here. It's nice to know you all care, and that while some of you have had similar occurances, you've made it through. Thanks for sharing your own experiences, and for helping me.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

After I was broken into twice in six months, I installed these. Cheap and easy to do, and a great deterrent.

http://www.window-bars.com/

And if you're worried about the safety of having windows blocked, it's nothing compared to the risk of being broken into.

Edit:: BTW, both times I was broken into, they threw a rock through the window, not much a window lock will do for that. Rocks are just so easy, and no one notices the sound of broken glass anymore.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

All good advice above. And I call it healthy paranoia-it's a good thing to have. If something doesn't seem right; trust your instincts! Even if you have a gun in hand if you're not paying any attention to your surroundings it's not going to do much good.
Reality is the cops can't be everywhere-so yes make yourself a harder target with security measures-locks etc. motion sensor outside lights are also excellent.
If you don't choose to have a gun then pepper spray, cheap-or even a taser-not cheap! And even in the daytime, if your walking in/out have the pepperspay etc. in your hand, not in the bottom of the purse. Enlist the neighbors if feasable -depends on the neighbors. Please take this as potentially serious! And remember if the shit hits the fan-same as skydivin- never give up! Keep fightin!
Take care!!!!!