LisaM

Multipe Cats

Oh yeah, she also discoverd the hole on the back of the speakers and climbed in there. Hubby was stressed because she apparently disconnected some wires. The speakers are now in the garage.

LOL, yeah, hidey holes are always found...behind the entertainment system, under the covers, beneath the bed, in the laundry dryer vent...they are found without fail. It's normal. Upsetting, but normal.

They are both sleeping, Maya on a chair in front of the VCR Lucy is sleeping behind.

I'll bet Maya got there after Lucy, and there will be some "patting" going on. LOL, Maya's trying to figure out what Lucy is...and so is Lucy.

Poor Lucy is being very skittish. Though she does good standing up to Maya. Maya is the one that starts the hissing... and then Maya is the one that backs away as well.

Maya's showing Lucy who's the boss in that house. It will be like that for a few days or so, until the two sort out their dominance issues.

And think about all that Lucy's gone through in the last few days...a surgery, a new home, new people, new cat, new everything. Aren't you always skittish until you get used to a new place? Same thing for kitties...they need some time to get into the flow. It's fine, it's normal...and it's totally understandable. Worry not.

And if it's only been some hissing and a wee scramble, you guys are doing just fine. Imagine how hard it is to bring a 6th adult to the established adult herd...the pecking order can take a long time to resort itself...LOL!

As long as Lucy's eating, drinking, and peeing/pooping, all is well.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Cats want fresh water, just like us. Sometimes the water from the toilet is the freshest. And they also like to SEE the water- ice helps with that

Yes, Tigra has it on the nose. The fresh water is why they like the potty...

I've had bad luck with ice; Simon takes it out and plays with it, careening it around the kitchen, then into the hallway or dining area...leaves wet spots on the floor that I just can't get behind. So I stopped with the ice. Doesn't seem to phase my herd, though. 'Course, all mine are bonkers...just like me!

Ciels-
Michele

Things have progressed. Lucy is venturing out of her safe spot. Maya will chase her back to it, but won't follow her into it. Maya swatted Lucy a couple of times but that was about it. Oh and chased her across the house to her hiding spot.

But I take it as a good sign that Lucy is venturing out more. She made it up on the couch... then Maya cornered her. :)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

You can have one of mine, we have 4 rescued kitties and a 100 pound shepard living in a one bedroom apt. I'll ship the little one (Tatter poot) fed-ex;) to you she is around 3 months and will eat out of your mouth she is a cool kitty.

Finally learned how to resize pics. They didn't get along at first and they still have their spats but for the most part they are ok. They are all females.

Definite progress. Lucy ventured to the food and Maya watched her eat and drink. She tried to intervene once, but Lucy told her in no uncertain terms that she was gonna eat! So Maya watched!

Phew. Lots of progress today. I just had them sitting on the couch and I was petting each at the same time.

Couse Maya just ambushed Lucy as I was typing this. :P

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

That's what I have. The pump will get clogged with hair and stuff so every now and again you need to take the whole thing apart and clean it, but it works out really well. My oldest has kidney disease, and fresh water is very important!

We have come a long way in the past 36 hours!

:)
Not gonna say I told you, but....

Now, I will say, that Maya is a Russian Blue - all grey with yellow eyes, features consistent with RBs. They are incredibly smart kitties, and very connected to their family (usually one person in that family). They are gentle and sweet cats overall, and will adapt easily to new situations (unlike some other breeds) as long as there is consistency (their person is there, the food is there, et cetera; very good "movers" whereas other cats have a hard time moving, for example). They are also talkers. Very loquacious, chatterboxes and definite communicatos. Just know that in advance, all right? Know that Maya's talking is very normal for her breed, and that she's just being a talky-cat. In other words, very little you can do to quiet her down when she gets into a chatty mood.

Congratulations, and I'm glad to see those two becoming friends. Tomorrow, when Maya gets spayed, make sure that she has a comfortable space that she can lay in, and remember that she'll be drugged, so expect some "odd" behavior. Any questions, feel free to ask.

I'm very pleased to see the two in the kitty bed. Which one was it, the new or old one that you've been switching around? Curious about that.

Ciels-
Michele

A funny thing about them being spayed-If they have any Siamese in them, the skin where they were shaved will darken.

Reason: The pigment that gives Siamese and Snowshoes their darker points is temperature sensitive. Cold activates it. The cat's muzzle, ears, and tail is colder than the rest of their body, hence the coloration.

When the skin is shaved, it sheds body heat--it's colder, and the pigment activates.

It is permanent, or at least it would seem so in Neko
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Here's a photo of my two cats squeezed into their cat bed together.

He takes up the whole bed by himself but she finds space to squeeze in. Apparently she likes being shmooshed. :)
Both were rescues...the big one was from the Humane Society and the little calico was found outside my office building, with her four kittens. The kittens were maybe 3 weeks old.

Yeah.....I need a kitty-sized treadmill for him. Or a giant hamster ball.

I feed him very little but he will not lose weight! I think he'd eat a pot pie If I let him have one. ;)

Your solution is meth.:P
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

It is permanent, or at least it would seem so in Neko

I am not sure it's permanent, but it's fun to watch them change colors depending on the locality they live in.

And then there are snowshoe Siamese, which your Neko and my Simon are. They are genetically colored differently to start with; sort of opposite than regular Siamese in the feet and belly. Siamese will have colored feet, but Snowshoe Siamese will have white feet, like they're standing in snow. Simon's coloring includes white on his belly and chin...with a black nose. I've put a shot of him so you can see his face (it's the one I usually show off - perfect "Simon" shot; I call it "Catittude!"). Also be aware that for some siamese, they don't reach full coloring for a while; Simon took about 18 months to fully darken on his back. Simon's odd spot is a bright white bit - about 50 hairs, I'd guess - on his hip. One side of his hip. I guess he has a hot spot there. LOLOL!!!

As for Lucy and Maya, I don't think they've got Siamese in them; Maya has a lot of Russian Blue - the pure grey coat and structure of her face is telling. Lucy is simply a moggie, a regular cat. They are both absolutely adorable...and seem to be working out just fine.

Ciels-
Michele

I have three cats, and each time a new one came to the house the older one was pissed off for a few days, lots of hissing! but they get over it after a few days then they really like each other and play a lot and groom each other,
if you can endure a few days of mad hissing, then it's worth it, i promise the hissing will stop! and they will get along,
but i know how hard the first few days can be....
so first they fight but then they look like this...

How much fighting is too much? They were doing really good this morning. Play wrestled. Then WHAMO Maya pounces on Lucy and it look to me like she went at her stomach with her mouth! Luck squealed. I don't think there was blood.... but holy cow. They did that a few times and I was all freaked out.

Then the little snot Maya strarted grooming Lucy; it was cute, she had her paw on Lucy's head... then WHAMO she did it again!

Maybe Maya was cranky cause she wasn't allowed to eat (she's off to get spayed this morning).

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

That's not too much, Lisa. They're fine.

What's happening is that they're learning the limits of each other. "Lick my ear!" "Don't touch my whiskers!" "Stop the grooming NOW!"

Belly attacks are very normal, and not a big issue. Often an invitation to play rough, the bite is sometimes too rough and there's some squeaking and hollering going on. Remember when you were a kid, and your friend play-punched you? You'd holler "OUCH!" even if it didn't hurt too much; it's a startle reflex. It's a reaction to a strike of any kind.

And yes, Maya may be grouchy because she's hungry. Don't you get grouchy then, too? When she comes home, she'll be tired and sore. Watch them very carefully, so neither gets bothered, and let Maya recover. Tomorrow, she'll be fine, and they'll be back to playing.

One of the most effective deterrants to a cat fight - when it's starting - is either a loud clap or a loud voice from you. It interrupts their focus, and will get them separated. DON'T ever separate two really fighting cats...you'll be the victim. Instead, grab a pillow and toss it at them; grab a shirt and drop it over them. Either one of these methods is very, very effective, and a lot better than water bottles (since we don't always have them handy...). So shout STOP or toss (not pelt, TOSS!!) a pillow or shirt or something over them.

But honestly, they don't sound like they're having issues. They're just getting used to each other, and it seems like they're actually doing really, really well. And so are you, Lisa. Not nearly as panicky as you sounded the other day; good deal!

Cat behavior is very interesting, and counter-intuitive. But once you see and understand it, you'll realize when there's a problem and when there's not. You will totally know if there is a *real* cat fight going on...especially with such a vocalizer as a Russian Blue. There is a tone, a sound, a quality to that situation which, once you hear, you'll say "oh, I get it now. The rest was just something else...this is a fight!".

So worry not, all seems to be well and happy in the house. And that is a good thing.

(And if anyone owns a bengal kitty, can you pm me? I have some questions for you. Thanks!)

Ciels-
Michele

How much fighting is too much?

That stuff is normal, part play and part practice for life as hunters. It looks and sounds scary, but they are very unlikey to cause injury. If it gets a little out of control, one or both will back off.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG