skyblu3

What is this container?

I have an iterest in skydiving gear of all types and when i see a container I dont immediately recocgnize I get curious. This container is used for student operations (poor students).

I'm thinking it might be an old PDF student container because of the rsl on both sides (loran system I think it was called). Shit system with 2 long curved pins on reserve cotainer that tended to move around a lot. Gear Check before exit is mandatory with this system.

Hi.

Yes, I confirm, this is an old Parachutes de France student rig: the Campus II, evolution of the Campus.

The Campus was the first "all in back" student container from Parachutes de France, not used anymore. The Campus II is still used in French skydiving schools but it is about to be replaced by the Atom Legend Student.

The Campus II was equipped with a "double" Stevens system: the LOR II. With that sysytem, both risers are linked to a single reserve container pin. That means that there are two reserve pins, also linked to the reserve handle.

The main body of these pins is not curved. There is only a "circle" at one of the extremities of the pin for fixing the bridle that is linked to the riser. The part of the pin between the circle and the main body is then slightly curved, but the main body of the pin that is inserted in the closing loop is completely straight. This pin acts exactly like a straight pin and not like a curved pin.

The LOR II allows an automatic reserve container opening only when BOTH main risers are cut away. This system is still in place on all student parachutes from Parachutes de France. It is also an option for expert skydivers.

LOR II=Libération (Cut away) Ouverture (Opening) Réserve (Reserve) II (two pins).

By the way, wher did you catch this picture?

Pascal

Thanks for the info. I know of a school which is still using these containers. They have a whole batch of them. I was surprised when I saw them and I did not even recognize this container.

Did not mean to bash the Lor II but I have seen a couple of older atoms with them and I did not like them because the pins moved around too much. This caused my friends reserve to open just after exit. I know another guy whose reserve opened in the aircraft. He was jumping the same rig. The concept of the LOR II is a good one but it has its drawbacks.

loop length was fine. Do you know what these pins look like? They are not the standard straight pin that's on most containers.

Anyway this happened a few years ago. The jumpers in question later had the rsl's removed and converted to standard 1 pin systems.

Which is not allowed according to PdF. But yeah, my previous rig was also modified to a 1-pin rsl and so are most if not all of the rigs for sport jumpers I see here.

I like the 1-pin setup for rsl with the pin shaped the way it is. Better than the 2rings setup for rsl I think. Although first reserve I had on this rig, I was pulling and pulling on the ripcord trying to free it, when the reserve was already out and of course the reserve ripcord cannot be pulled free because the pin can't get through the housing. Nice, much harder to lose your ripcord that way ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes, rather like a ripcord stop. Maybe we should all put plugs or lead fishing weights on the end of our ripcords so they can't be lost....

Lee

Sounds dangerous, how about rubberbands so ya can pull 'em all the way through is ya need to?! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~