FlyingJarhead

whats it take to make a dropzone?

ive got my own personal DZ heh, Dream zone...
and i was thinking how wouldi go about making my own dropzone? what does it take to get some airspace changed? my spot launched balloons already and is vfr to 6800 then its class bravo i believe.. its very open and good location, so basically if money wasnt the issue.. how would i do it?

Bwhahaha.. there went all your profit! :D

If you are serious, contact the USPA, they have a booklet on this if you want to start a DZ. Talk to some DZO's around the counrty first. You might also want to look in the classifieds here, more then 1 DZ is up for sale right now ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Whats bigger... Red Bull or all the traffic going into LAX? ;)

You'd be better off putting your money into a lawsuit to shut down LAX then you are in tryin to get the FAA to reduce Class B.

Red Bull events are typically only done out of an 182 or other small plane. They are chump change to what Delta would sue for if you cause issues with their planes.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It depends on the exact location in relation to the major airport. Anything is possible, and jumping through a class B is not illegal... it would just take a lot of coordination. Unless it's right on an approach path, it might be doable. Or if you wanted to do just a swoop event or something, you can stay under the class B and jump without asking for anybody's permission (notification is required, not clearance).

Dave

A DZ under a class B shelf would be.... challenging at best.

It's no big deal. :)

No need for any airspace change, but you'd probably need to work something out with the controlling facility of the class B...

Our locals do. As I said, thankfully, it's no big deal (or at least it wasn't when I was a regular jumper 2 years ago).
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

My future dropzone would not be on airport proptery. My future dropzone would be on "former half farmfield". Aboustely will be huger landing area and own grassy runaway. Our farmland is 90 acres. Plenty! It probably will be other dropzone in Georgia! :ph34r: Plus other reason to not set dropzone on airport proptery cos spent a lot of money on rent hangar and etc. That's for us.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

I have flown for Skydive Las Vegas in Boulder City, we jumped people through the Bravo all the time, but happily it was not on the approach into McCarran, so traffic was not usually an issue. just more radio work for me. "Cleared to climb into the Bravo" then "cleared for the jump into the Bravo" then "Cleared to Descend into the Bravo". No big thing.

I have also flown demo jumpers into Phoenix where they were landing at Tempe Town Lake, heart o' the city, Phoenix, az. In fact, the landing area is just short of the 26 approach into Skyharbor, where planes would be at 500' AGl and we had to time it in between Southwest airlines. It worked out sweet on all sides.

Find out where the approach corridors are at LAX in relation to your spot. It can be done, if you are in the right place, or you could just stay under the Bravo and do Hop and Pops.

jeff d-16906