Vectracide

Charly helmets and communication systems..

Does anyone here have one of these helmets? These are designed for paragliding and handgliding. I am considering purchasing one for a better level of protection for swooping and for being able to install a communication system in for full alti canopy coaching. I am mostly interested in how wide they are.....so if you have seen one and can comment on how it compares to our current selection of skydiving helmets, please do. Thanks

http://www.finsterwalder-charly.de/html_eng/helme/insider.php

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I don't own one but I have handled one. Overall its about the same width as a normal full face skydiving helmet. The exception being that the jaw portion extends outward significantly. As for protection, the ones I have handled looked to be slightly better than a typical skydiving helmet but not much. They are also fairly light. If all you intend to do is use the comunications while under canopy you might have success with it depending on your radio set up,but don't expect it to function in freefall. If you are serious about head protection then a simple Pro-tec with the Aero-Oregon kevlar liner kit in it is the safest and closet thing you'll get short of wearing a motorcycle helmet.Incidentally, Pro-tec makes a helmet that looks like the one you posted that I'd imagine you could fit the Aero-Oregon liner kit in it as well.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott,

Yeah, I only plan on using this for canopy work. I might try some freefall systems, but that would require some extensive mic mouth cup to work. As for the Pro-tec helmet, I went to their site and found only one that is similar...is this it? http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47948078&parent_category_rn=4501607#specs

The pro-tec is slightly heavier (minimally), and holds the same CE EN ratings that the Charly helmet does. Basically bike and snow impacts only. It is quite a bit cheaper though. Is is as slim and sleek as the Charly? Also, where can I find the Aero-Oregon kevlar liner kit?

Thanks

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

There are 2 types of full face Pro-tec helmets, one snow and one bike http://www.pro-tec.net/. Zeemax has one and jumps with it so he can give you some feedback on it.

The Oregon Aero pads kit is here
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING