everymansaved

Can I get some computer help?

Hey all, My Microsoft Outlook has been doing something strange lately, I need some help from someone who knows about this beast. Every time I click on a link in an e-mail, it says I can't because that feature has been disabled due to restrictions on this computer, and to contact my administrator. No, I am not at work, and this is my home personal computer. It just seemed to do this out of nowhere, and I can't find anything about it in Outlook settings or Help. Thanks!

EFS
Sean LR
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I assume you have Windows XP. If this is sometime that just recently started happening it may be because your machine is infected with a virus.

It happens when your user account lacks the privileges to do certain things. Are you using the Guest account on the computer?

Walt

'I replied just as you did. That looks like exactly what's happening, but the steps involved in fixing it that are listed on the website... I don't really know exactly how to put int into type, but it's like it's not talking about the right program, but it says that it's for my version, 2003. Some check boxes it says to clear, etc... aren't there! Hmmm!!
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Nice, thanks! I'll give it a try. Will Norton Antivirus do the same as the AVG?

EFS
Sean LR

Norton has had a lot of issues recently. There's no way I'd install it on one of my PCs. AVG will do the job more efficiently and probably more accurately than Norton, and it's free.

Hmmm, neither seemed to do the trick. Thanks, I really apreciate all your help. Whenever I use the MS webpage, I just end up getting frustrated because I can never find the help I need.

And duly noted about Norton/AVG, thanks.

I believe Normiss is correct. If you post your version, somebody will probably post the fix for you.

Click on Help, then About. Post exactly what it says..."Microsoft Outlook xxxx" and if there are service packs or such, that info would be helpful as well.

MS is trying to keep you safe, and IT pulling out it's hair. [:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/]

Jeff
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

download AVG Free anti-virus from here:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Then, run the virus scan.

If that doesn't fix the problem, google "spybot search and destroy" and download and run that.

If none of that works, you've probably got microsoft issues, and you can fix that problem here.

FYI... AVG won't be free for much longer... time to find a new one!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My bad - I had heard that the antivirus wasn't going to be supported - I didn't know that it was a version change. I apologize for the confusion.

GRISOFT Extends User Product Support for AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.1 Through February 18, 2007

Time extended to upgrade to AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5 and other updated AVG Internet Security products

Millburn, N.J. - January 9, 2007 – GRISOFT, the developer of AVG security software, today announced the extension of user product support for AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.1 through February 18, 2007. Product support for users of version 7.1 had been scheduled to expire on January 15th. This change will provide additional time for users to upgrade to AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5 or other AVG products. The Free Version 7.5 provides all the benefits of the previous version, but also offers better virus protection and improves ease-of-use for users.

With version 7.5, users receive improved virus detection based on better heuristics and NTFS data streams scanning, smaller update files and improved user interface. Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5 is also Windows Vista-ready and is available via Windows Security Center as a security solution. To upgrade to free version 7.5, users can visit visit: http://free.grisoft.com.

“As we have millions of satisfied users who enjoy using our free anti-virus software, we continue to offer the free version 7.1, which has been updated in our AVG 7.5 security product portfolio,” said Larry Bridwell, vice president of Global Security Strategies. “We’ve extended user support so that they can continue receiving daily computer threat updates as they transition to our improved Anti-Virus Free Edition or take advantage of the additional benefits with our commercial AVG products that protect against a myriad of computer threats.”

GRISOFT’s AVG 7.5 security portfolio offers users several commercial security products with advanced benefits not included in the free editions. While AVG Free only provides anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, the AVG commercial products offer more security with a variety of options including additional anti-spam and firewall programs, as well as tools to detect and prevent identity theft attempts, bundled into one package such as the new AVG Internet Security 7.5.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So my version is: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5606). Does this help?

Yep.

You might want to check these settings...sorry it took me a while, work sucked my time, had an 18 hour day.

Block or unblock links in suspicious phishing messages
Applies to: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
Applies to
Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003

Phishing is the malicious practice of luring you into disclosing your personal information, such as your social security number or credit card number. Often phishing messages have deceptive links that actually take you to spoofed Web sites that urge you to enter and submit your personal information. Your personal information is used by criminals to steal your identity, your money, or both. Learn more about how you can identify fraudulent e-mail and phishing schemes.

In this article
How does Outlook detect suspicious messages?
What does Outlook do about suspicious messages?
Turn on disabled links in a message
Stop detecting suspicious messages and disabling links in all messages
How can I get the Outlook 2003 phishing protection feature?
How does Outlook detect suspicious messages?
Because it can be hard to distinguish a phishing e-mail from a legitimate e-mail from, say, your bank, the Junk E-mail Filter evaluates each incoming message to see if it is suspicious and contains suspicious links or has been sent using a spoofed e-mail address. Suspicious message detection is always on. If the filter considers a message suspcious, the message is sent to the Junk E-mail folder, the message format is changed to plain text format, and the links in the message are disabled.

Junk E-mail Filter spam filter settings

Junk E-mail Filter suspicious links setting

Note Suspicious message detection continues to work even when you select the No Automatic Filtering option to turn off spam detection.

Top of Page

What does Outlook do about suspicious messages?
What happens to a suspicious message by default is as follows:

If the Junk E-mail Filter does not consider a message to be spam but does detect suspicious links, the message is left in the Inbox, but the links in the message are disabled.
If the Junk E-mail Filter considers the message to be both spam and suspicious, the message is automatically sent to the Junk E-mail folder. Any message sent to the Junk E-mail folder is converted to plain text format and all links are turned off.
Moving spam messages out of the Junk E-mail folder If a message is considered only spam, when you move it out of the Junk E-mail folder it will have its links turned on and the original message format restored.
Moving suspicious messages out of the Junk E-mail folder If a message is considered suspicious, when you move it out of the Junk E-mail folder, the original message format is restored but the links it contains will remain disabled by default.
If the Junk E-mail Filter considers the message to be both spam and suspicious, but if the sender (for instance, [email protected]) or domain (for instance, @example.com) is on your Safe Senders List, then the message is left in the Inbox, but the links in the message are disabled.
If the Junk E-mail Filter considers the message to be both spam and suspicious but you don't agree, open the Junk E-mail folder, right-click the message, and then click Add Sender to Safe Senders List on the shortcut menu. The message is moved to your Inbox. Disabled links remain disabled, but the original message format is restored.
Important Once you have added the sender or domain to your Safe Senders List, any future messages from that sender or domain will be evaluated by the suspicious message filter but will not be moved to the Junk E-mail folder. It is not a good idea to include well known banks, credit card companies, or e-commerce senders or domains in your Safe Senders Lists, because these senders' addresses are the ones most commonly spoofed by phishers.
If you click a link that has been disabled in a suspicious message, the following Outlook Security warning appears.

If you want to continue to be alerted to this sort of potential security risk, simply click OK. If you don't want to keep receiving the warning, select the Please do not show me this dialog again check box before you click OK.

Top of Page

Turn on disabled links in a message
If you want to enable the links in a message, do the following:

In the InfoBar at the top of the message, click the text that reads Click here to turn on links.
Click Turn on Links (not recommended).
All of the the disabled links in the message are enabled.

Outlook InfoBar

Turn on Links command

Top of Page

Stop disabling links in all messages
Enabling suspicious links is not recommended.

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Preferences tab, under E-mail, click Junk E-mail.
On the Options tab, clear the Don't turn on links in messages that might connect to unsafe sites check box.
If you decide you do want links disabled and you do want to be warned about suspicious links, selecting the check box will disable all the links in messages that have been evaluated as suspicious by the Junk E-mail Filter and you will receive warnings about suspicious links.
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.