unformed

Ancient history buffs - I have a question for you

There was a Greek city-state which was in a war where every male member of the army promised to never surrender, and they all fought to the death, and were subsequently killed.

Can you tell me which city-state it was?

fixed it for ya
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Weren't they called the "band of thieves" or something like that? It was a small group of men (couple thousand) that were considered lovers that fought incredibly hard on the battle field and wouldn't surrender or retreat so they wouldn't look dishonorable infront of their lovers.

My mind is kind of cloudy right now due to being sick and being on high powered meds, that's the best I can come up with.

I can't remember which battle it was that they were all killed at either.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There was a Greek state which was in a war where every male member of the army promised to never surrender, and they all fought to the death, and were subsequently killed. Can you tell me which state it was?

Are you talking about the Spartans?

There's a new movie coming out soon called "The 300", or something like that, about the battle at Thermopylae against the Persians. Should be excellent.

There was a Greek state which was in a war where every male member of the army promised to never surrender, and they all fought to the death, and were subsequently killed.

Can you tell me which state it was?

The state of confusion, delerium and brainwashed!:D
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

You're thinking of the Sacred Band of Thebes. They were from Thebes.

And the OP is probably thinking of the Battle of Chaeronea against Philip II.

Bwahahaha!

Ok, ok...wow. Clarity of thought, huh? I'm glad you stepped in, it is your area of study.

Oh, the threads from 3-4 years ago when I first got my bike? Sort of like how I shouldn't be a competitive swooper by reading the threads I started on DZ.com back when I first started jumping?

Ok.

PM me if you care to discuss, if not, then meh.

I'm reading a really good book about this subject just now.

Gates of Fire - by Steven Pressfield

Thats a great book. i think the movie is gunna be insane! :S

The movie is going to be insane I agree and I can't wait!

The movie is based on Frank Millers book 300. It's not base upon Gates of Fire. They're just the same subject matter. :)
March 9th I'm going to see it on IMAX! I can't wait. I haven't looked forward to a movie like this one in awhile.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I get chills watching the trailer. The NIN song they picked for it is absolutely perfect too.

I love the part in the trailer when king Leodinas has the messanger back up against the well.

Messenger: "This is madness"
Leodinas: "NO THIS IS SPARTA" KICK!!

or the part where the ranger is informed that the Persians shoot so many arrows it blocks out the sun. The Spartan Ranger answers with "Well I guess we get to fight in the shade"

Such courage and bravado!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."