kturnau

Hook knife installment?

I want to have a good metal hook knife installed in the mud flap of my Javelin TJN. Is that something that a master rigger can easily do and if so how do they put that in?

Do they just stick it up inside and install a securing button or do they also sew in a small pouch to prevent it from accidentally cutting something that it shouldn't?

Thanks!
FALLATIO #13
PELT HEAD #20

Both methods work: merely setting a snap-fastener into the mud flap/3-Ring cover works, but slightly increase the risk that the hook knife will fray structural stitching.
Relax!
As long as the hook knife has smooth sides, the risk of fraying is negligible.
The second method involves cutting a small hole, so that the snap fastener - of the sheath - pokes through the new hole on the mud flap.

But the coolest sheath is made by BASIC RESEARCH/APEX BASE. It has two loops that slip over the chest strap and MLW to hold it securely just above your reserve ripcord handle or cutaway pillow. You end up with a cross-draw sheath.
Your call.
Remind me to install an - APEX pattern - hook knife sheath on my rig.

Be aware that some hook knives are too big to fit under the mud flap. Other mountings are available.

In particular one that is equally accessable by either hand is a good idea. I still wear a chest mount altimeter on a pillow so mine is in a pouch sewn to the back of the pillow, handle pointed down. This puts it in the middle of my body, on my sternum that doesn't bend, and tend to keep my pillow in place.;)

The benchmade small hook knife that is designed for first responders is a good choice, used by Aerodyne, hmm I think.

http://www.knivesplus.com/benchmadeknife-bm-7blkw.html Actually this is one I hadn't seen before.

This is the one used by one of the rig manufacturers.
http://www.crocblades.com/store/catalog.cfm?product=BM5BLKW

I have some of these but I don't really like them for skydiving. No real handle. I still use a Jack knife.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hey,

I have an OJK, not tat that really matters, but it's fairly close in size. I bought a hook knife when I was at The Ranch in November. It is made by www.safetyknife.com. It's made of aluminum and seems to be pretty rigid. I read another forums and it was what made me spend the extra on aluminum rather than the plastic ones.

Here are some pictures to see it in my leg strap pocket. I haven't decided between my leg strap or the mud flap yet. I hope to get it installed at the same time as my next repack.

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I haven't decided between my leg strap or the mud flap yet.

On all the rigs I've had, I've had 2 hookknifes: one on left mudflap, one on right leg strap. Better safe than sorry, if I really need a knife I want to be able to reach one and should I drop one.......

ciel bleu,
Saskia

But the coolest sheath is made by BASIC RESEARCH/APEX BASE. It has two loops that slip over the chest strap and MLW to hold it securely just above your reserve ripcord handle or cutaway pillow. You end up with a cross-draw sheath.

Would you happen to have a picture of this sheath? Even a sketch would do it. Thanks

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"