rwieder

"The Day The Music Died"

1959: Buddy Holly, along with Ritchie Valens (who had a number one hit on the charts), and the Big Bopper (J. P. Richardson), perish in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.

Forever missed, but never forgotten.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Followed by Otis Redding.

Redding and six others, including four of the six members of Redding's backup band, The Bar-Kays, were killed when the plane on which they were travelling crashed into Lake Monona in Madison, Wisconsin on December 10, 1967. The two remaining members of The Bar-Kays were Ben Cauley and James Alexander. Cauley was the only person aboard Redding's plane to survive the crash; Alexander was on another plane.

Cauley reported that he had been asleep until just seconds before impact, and recalled that upon waking he saw bandmate Phalon Jones look out a window and say, "Oh, no!" Cauley said that he then unbuckled his seat belt, and that was his final recollection before finding himself in the frigid waters of the lake, grasping a seat cushion to keep himself afloat.[2]

Redding's body was recovered the next day when the lake bed was dragged with a grappling hook, and footage exists of his body being brought out of the water. [1] The cause of the crash was never precisely determined.

Redding was 26 years old at the time of his death. He was laid to rest in a tomb on his private ranch in Round Oak, Georgia, 23 miles (37 km) north of Macon.

1959: Buddy Holly, along with Ritchie Valens (who had a number one hit on the charts), and the Big Bopper (J. P. Richardson), perish in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.

Forever missed, but never forgotten.

The aircraft - a Beech Bonanza without anti-ice equipment, flown at night by a non-instrument rated pilot, in a snowstorm.:S

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

About five years ago I went to an exhibit of rock memorabilia at the Experience Music Project in Seattle, right at the foot of the Space Needle. Lots of cool stuff like Nancy Sinatra's boots, Ringo Starr's gray collarless jacket, Madonna's pointy bra, etc, etc. Not a permanent exhibit either, I doubt it would still be there.

The exhibit also had Buddy Holly's glasses. They were broken. He'd been wearing them when he went in. They had only recently been rediscovered in an evidence locker at the Madison County Sheriffs' Office, where they'd been sitting for over forty years. As the realization sunk in of what I was looking at, it just got really creepy.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I have lived here since prior to the EMP, and have still never been in.

When it first went up, locals were saying how overpriced and overrated the whole exhibit was.

It's been many years now...mebbe I'll have to check it out. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

and the Big Bopper overloaded the plane in a last minute change of personnel.

This is my theory, J.P. combined with the weight of the luggage is that the plane stalled after take off and the inexperienced pilot didn't have the abilities it took to recover from it. I've heard rumors for years that Buddy Holly pulled a gun on the pilot and all kinds of crazy theories and none of them "Pass the smell test" I've seen the actual photos from the crash sight, the entity that published those photos exibited poor taste IMO. Holly's wife was pregnant with their child, which he never got to see as we all know. Does anyone know what happened to his wife and child?
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"