NewGuy2005

Freefly Mod for Dolphin Container

Has anyone had it done to their pre-2000 Dolphin? How do you like it? Please post pics if you've got 'em.

Thanks

a rigging customer of mine has one and it's VERY NICE and TIGHT. I'm not a big fan of the container (though they are VERY easy to pack) but the mod I would for sure recommend. Sorry, don't have pics.
my pics & stuff!

Well I like the fact I got one of the first few made and it's the most comfortable rig I've ever owned, very felxible,I have no problem with pin protection and the bridle is so far in the corner only a 1/2 an inch or less is exposed and has never been an issiue, and it only cost me 650.00 new, on top of that Mike has the best customer service you'll find anywhere in the industry. I have sent mine back to the factory to have to original riser snaps changed to velcro, Mike offered to change it to tuck tabs for free, but i passed and kept the velcro and mike did the closing loop SB and reinforced the main flap at no extra charge without me asking for the work to be done and also did two custom mud flaps at no extra charge when I bought a colored RPC top and when I sent it back a few years later to have the harness let out some he did it at no charge and covered the shipping back to me, it is a very rigger friendly rig as well, I like the fact I can close the reserve like a javelin, (FYI mike used to make the jav) I also like the how well built it is, mine is a 96 model and still looks brand new, then again I take care of my rigs and do my own rigging. So over all it is a great rig at a low cost price and Mike is great to deal with anytime you made need service.

edited to add,
Most people you hear talking smack don't like them because they are a no frills rig, and that is the point of why Mike started to make them, no frills=low cost to new jumpers getting into the sport, those that rag on them want all the fancy crap today, stainless steel, hip / chest rings and all that other crap you see these days, so if your looking to be a hip in fashion skydiver of today, you better sell it and get you one of the high priced fancy rigs. But who really cares how pretty you look in matching gear wizzing thru 1500 ft with nothing out, the ground don't that's for sure.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I had a '97 Dolphin that the previous owner had a bridle cover added onto. I know he used to sit fly in it, but I don't know how many jumps he put on the rig. I put about 100 sit fly jumps on it myself with no problems. I've seen other Dolphins with bridle cover mods that were tighter than mine, but mine seemed to work okay anyway.

I can't expand too much on what Dan (Strato) said. Our DZ had all Dolphins as student rigs and I always encouraged students to purchase either used or new Dolphins as their first container. I owned one for a looong time and it was an amazing rig (it became a student's personal rig)

We had students that went on to FF'ing and used their Dolphins while they were learning. Then as Dan mentions they start moving around to other DZ's and seeing bling bling. But the good news is - their eyes lighting up with glitz means some other new skydiver gets a good used rig.

As for customer service, I've yet to get any bad service from any of the rig manufacturers. From those I've purchased and even those I haven't. I've been able to pick up the phone and talk with the owners of; RWS, Mick, Henri, Mike and even Kelly spent an hour with me on the phone one night educating me on my rampage about a competitor's rig mod (Cypres cutter relocation).

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the manufacturing owners in this industry.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I bought a 98 Dolphin for about $350 and had it sent to Mike to be modified. Mike made it freefly friendly, reconstructed the whole front so it was up to date with their current design and re-sized it to fit me and did a whole bunch of other stuff and sent it back to me. The whole thing (including shipping to Australia) costed me about $200- 250 so for around $600 I had a custom, completely modern as good as new rig delivered.

Unfortunately I can't post a pic because the rig is in Australia right now & I'm not there... I haven't jumped it yet, I only just got my A license so I can't comment on that part. But as everyone has said, Mike is awesome. He was in touch with me constantly and was really really helpful and went out of his way to help me. Everytime I see a post about a Dolphin rig I feel compelled to commend the customer service!