SarahC07

Excel

I guess I'll give this a chance here...

I'm currently working on this massive excel project at work... I'm actually helping out some brokers who don't have time to do it themselves... But, I'm looking for a function that will check to see if the cells above and below it are between the amount in two other cells. Does that make sense? Also, if the amount is in the range, I want to tell it to do an additonal math function, if it's not I want the cell to be 0. The IF function won't do it. I tried the >= and <= conjoined by & but it won't read two comparisons.

Any ideas?

Also, this might be a really dumb question, but if I have 3 pairs of coordinates that are not linearly related how should I go about finding the equation? We belive the format is y=ax^2 + bx + c. I don't have the y intercept or the x intercept (but it shouldn't have an x intercept).

Help?

Also, this might be a really dumb question, but if I have 3 pairs of coordinates that are not linearly related how should I go about finding the equation? We belive the format is y=ax^2 + bx + c. I don't have the y intercept or the x intercept (but it shouldn't have an x intercept).

Help?

Two points can define a linear function but three do not necessarily define a non-linear function. What are you trying to do?

Walt

I'd use the AND statement. From what I understand you have four arguments.

Is the cell above greater than Number A
Is the cell above less than Number B
Is the cell below greater than Number A
Is the cell below less than Number B

Only if these four arguments are met, that cell will return TRUE.

The formula to do this will look something like this

=AND(B2>D2, B2D2, B4
Feel free to PM me if I'm close or you want an example spreadsheet sent to you. :)
Edited to add:
When you have this TRUE indicator returned , you can then nest it within any additional formula you wish.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

if I have 3 pairs of coordinates that are not linearly related how should I go about finding the equation? We belive the format is y=ax^2 + bx + c.

If you plug the three sets of coordinates into that equation, you should have three equations and three unknowns (a,b,c). Use Eqn 3 to solve in terms of "c" and plug that into Eqns 1 and 2. That should give you two eqns and two unknowns. Solve for one and substitute back into the others. That only works if your assumption that the form of the eqn is as you stated. Otherwised you're screwed, mathematically.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.