FlyingJ

Help - viewing SD card reader as a drive

I have an SD card reader. On most computers, when I plug it in I have the option of going through My Computer to view it as a drive that I can open up and view the contents.

For some reason, on the laptop that I'm using while out of town this week it opens automatically into an awful photo manager program and it does not show up as a drive.

Can anyone tell me how to prompt the creation of a drive when I have the card reader involved?

Thanks,
jason.
Killing threads since 2004.

Close the photo reader and look under My Computer. Try double clicking but if that doesn't work, right click it and choose Explore.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Done that. The frustrating thing I'm running into is that the card reader isn't showing up under my computer. When I go to device manager it shows up as a storage drive and I can see the driver info, etc., but I am not able to explore it as a drive.
Killing threads since 2004.

Are there any network drives mapped on the laptop? Particularly just above the last physical drive (eg. E:, F:, etc?). If so, unmap them, remove and reattach the SD card reader and you should see the card reader.

Windows isn't smart enough to check if a network drive already has a drive letter before assigning it to a removable device, and if the letter happens to be already used the device becomes invisible.