denisfrog

Packing Volume : PD-170 vs Sabre2 170

http://www.paragear.com/canopyspecs/canopysizing.PDF

This lists the PD-170 at 391 cu in.

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachute.asp?group=35&t2parent=2&parent=9&level=3

This lists the Sabre2 170 at 364 cu in.

Of course, YMMV. PD doesn't believe in publishing packing volumes. See this:
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/packvol.pdf

Your best bet is to ask the container manufacturer. My guess is it'll probably fit, but keep in mind the PD-170 is F111 and the Sabre2 is ZP. Keep in mind you don't want to load the PD-170 over 1:1, and make sure the reserve and container will work for you.

It's really going to depend on how tight it is for the PD170. You can PROBABLY fit the sabre2, but if the rig is already very tight with the PD, the sabre2 will be a struggle. My old rig had a PD150 squeezed in, which I replaced with a Sabre2 135. I would not have wanted to try packing a Sabre2 150 in there. I'm sure they'd both fit fine if you were packing in a vacuum, but the real difference is how much harder it is to get the air out of the sabre2. It's not really bigger, it just feels like it is. I had to squeeze the sabre2 into the rig, but after it was bagged it was a bit more "squishy" than the PD, which felt like a brick.

Dave

I've seen canopy volume charts in a couple places.

1) On Jump Shack's website. Tends to cover older canopies more, but it does often show a couple sets of numbers, their own plus those from the PIA.

2) Para-Gear has a pdf document that mirrors the one page chart in every one of their catalogues. That's a good one for comparisons. Not perfectly up to date either.

Rig companies' own charts may just show the volume of containters (eg, former-RWS for its Vector II), or may show typical canopies that would fit into the containers (eg for the Vector III).

PD has a FAQ document on the issues with establishing consistent pack volumes.

For many canopies one can find more than one number for size, often one optimistic one and one that's maybe a bit more realistic.

I'm guessing companies are a bit wary these days of trying to give exact volume numbers. As for your situation, when a company doesn't publish info, one goes back to the old suggestion to give them a phone call...

Any other better canopy volume sources out there?

I dont get it. Why is the sabre1 to sabre2 packing volume so different?

I'm not comparing the sabre1 to sabre - no one is. I was just petty whining about (what will be) dealing with my own sabre1. The thread is about PD-170 (f111 9 cell) vs Sabre2-170