Naptown

Singer 306

I was just given an old Singer 306 that seems to be in excellent condition and a friend told me it was a decent beginners machine. Has anyone here used this particular machine? And if so what types of things were you able to accomplish, such as making risers/toggles or only being able to repair torn t-shirts?
Thanks,
Scott

Is that a 306W25? I looked-up Singer industrial machines and that was the closest I coud find to Model - 306. If, it is a 306W25, it is a swing needle, zig-zag, straight stitch machine. It appears to have capabilities of sewing heavier materials. I don't know about sewing risers with it. You might check-out Singer's web page under industrial machines. The owner's/instruction manuals are available there. You might get with a knowledgable sewing machine repairman and have him look at it for more info.

Chuck

I only searched 'industrial' Singer machines. That is a real good idea, taking it to a sewing machine shop. I'd like to ask you another question. Is the case, made of plastic or steel? Also, the 'W', after the model number makes me wonder if, it may be a 'walking-foot' machine. I'd be interested to know, what you learn about your machine.

Chuck

I've been doing searches through Singer's site. Near as I can tell, that machine came in a 'K' series and 'W' series. From what I can find, it is a drop-feed, straight-stitch. It appears to be a rather heavy duty machine. Probably good for sewing Cordura and Para-pack material. You might, just have a real good machine.

Chuck

When you say case I assume you mean the machine itself, and not a storage case? The machine itself is definitley Not plastic, it's probably steel but I can not say for certain. It is very solid feeling though.
It sits in it's own table and can fold down for storage. I'll look it over again to see if there are any more distinguishing markings or numbers.

Scott

Also, the 'W', after the model number makes me wonder if, it may be a 'walking-foot' machine.

'
Chuck, The "W" is a designator as to where it was Built.

More of them:

W=West Germany
G=East Germany
A= Anderson, South Carolina USA
U=United Kingdom

Cheers,
MEL

Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com