HydroGuy

new Relative Workshop options

I know there have been several threads in relation to some of the new Relative Workshop options recently...but they seemed mostly speculative.

Did anyone get a chance at Nationals to actually check out the new riser covers and 3-D foam?

Does the 3-D foam option negate the deluxe backpad option? Or is it in addition to?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I was there and checked them out - both are awesome. Foam was plush and the riser cover design looks sweet (very secure, but also seemed to release smoothly). The new foam replaces the old backpad option and you can get tuck tab riser covers if you'd prefer them (can't think of any reason - besides maybe having a pacemaker - that you'd want to...)

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Nice, someone has actually seen them.

I'm wondering what was wrong with the tuck tab riser covers though? I have a Vector3, and my riser covers have never come loose. I was under the impression that the tuck tab failures had to do with people hanging their rigs, which RWS doesn't reccomend.

Are these magnetic riser covers a fix for people that hang their rigs against RWS instructions? Or an overall design improvement?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Are these magnetic riser covers a fix for people that hang their rigs against RWS instructions? Or an overall design improvement?

Hey, HydroGuy -

I saw these options earlier this year at Elsinore, and to the best of my knowledge, the magnetic riser covers are just a small design improvement. The tuck tabs were pretty darn secure on their own...but the magnets offer a few distinctive advantages.

1. A slight bit quicker when packing. No biggie, but nice nonetheless, to have your riser covers pretty much pull themselves closed when you move them in the right direction.
2. In the instance that a tuck-tab riser cover comes open in freefall, it'll be open during the rest of the jump until deployment. With the magnetic covers, if a cover should come open, chances are the magnets will pull it back closed. (Sounded far-fetched to me when I was told this, but I hear that RWS has tested this sort of thing & found it to work that way...and after playing around with 'em a bit, I'm pretty convinced that it would work. They're pretty robust magnets, and if the wind blows the flaps close to each other, I imagine the attraction would be more than strong enough to pull the suckers shut.)
3. The magnetic covers provide for a more even release of the risers on deployment, because it's easier for the risers to pop open the riser covers.
4. They just look and feel cooler than standard tuck-tabs. ;)

Overall, I think this is just one of those non-essential upgrades that you can probably do without...tuck tabs have always worked well enough on their own for me. But at the same time, the magnets do improve on it a notch...and I guess that's how all our gear gets better in the long run, right?

And hell, if you can afford the $25 extra (when buying your, ahem, $3000 Vector container), then why not go for a little extra bling? :)

(when buying your, ahem, $3000 Vector container)

who is your dealer ?? :|

Actually, I was just pulling that figure from RWS's pricelist. $2189 base +hip rings +hackey +spacer foam +Skyhook +other various little mods comes pretty close to $3 grand.

http://www.relativeworkshop.com/pdf_files/05252.pdf

But yeah, obviously you can do better with dealer discounts. Since I don't have an open quote on one at the moment, like I said, I just glanced at the RWS pricelist to get a good estimate...

Probably should've said, 'don't quote me on that,' though, due to the dealer thing.

Back to the topic at hand, though, it is kinda like buying a car - when you're spending more than a grand on something, what's $25 extra for something cool gonna hurt? ;)