Twoply

Kitchen sink help again please

Researching kitchen sinks. I see this and I don't know if this is good, above average or standard.

"18/8 Chrome-Nickel Finish"
304 Stainless steel

What do each of these things mean?

Also does anyone really notice a difference in a 20 gauge sink vs an 18 gauge sink? I'm not sure it's worth the extra bucks. Just quieter I guess. And why the hell is it so hard to find a 10 inch deep bowl?
Thanks
Mike

gauge is the thickness
304 is the type of SS
18/8 is the mix

300 series, stainless steels comprise over 70% of total stainless steel production. They contain a maximum of 0.15% carbon, a minimum of 16% chromium and sufficient nickel and/or manganese to retain an austenitic structure at all temperatures from the cryogenic region to the melting point of the alloy. A typical composition of 18% chromium and 10% nickel, commonly known as 18/10 stainless is often used in flatware. Similarly 18/0 and 18/8 is also available. “Superaustenitic” stainless steels, such as alloy AL-6XN and 254SMO, exhibit great resistance to chloride pitting and crevice corrosion due to high Molybdenum contents (>6%) and nitrogen additions and the higher nickel content ensures better resistance to stress-corrosion cracking over the 300 series. The higher alloy content of "Superaustenitic" steels means they are fearsomely expensive and similar performance can usually be achieved using duplex steels at much lower cost.
........... The sad part is I knew that before I looked up this paragraph......:(:( I need a life, to much Disconery channel
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

The thicker metal is indeed a bit quieter, but more to the point, it will resist denting better when you drop stuff in the sink. One other consideration, the type of faucets you use. I had a customer with a light gauge sink wanting a new high end single point Delta installed. The install went great, but because the sink is light gauge, there is slight, but noticable flexing of the sink metal when she pushes the lever to turn on the water.

I'd go for the heavier gauge metal. Deep sinks are out there, you might have to order it. Another consideration, if you get a deeper sink, you'll also have to replumb your drains.

I installed a restaurant grade commercial sink in my mom's kitchen. She got it way cheap, but I had to get commercial faucets for it and build a cabinet to fit.

Remember the higher number on the gauge the thinner it gets. Also the higher the number on the Stainless the better it gets. As far as some of the money spent . Do you want this to outlast your great grand children or great great great great grand kids that wont know you even in pictures