RandomLemming

Understanding reserve deployment

Hi all,

I have a solid understanding of the main deployment sequence, and I understand what happens on a cutaway and how the risers are released.

What I feel I am missing is an understanding of the sequence of what happens when I pull the silver handle (assuming no RSL), or in the case of an RSL, what happens then. I've only seen one reserve and I didn't see that get packed.

Is there anything on the web that describes this sequence of events.

Deployment is the same as the main. Just that the nose of the reserve is exposed for a faster opening and the deployment bag is called a free bag as it is not attached to the canopy like the main.

That is that in a nut shell....
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

The deployment is similar to the main with a few differences;
-the pilot chute is spring loaded and held compressed by the closing pin. When you pull the reserve ripcord, the strong spring inside the pilot chute launches it off your back and deployment begins. In case of the RSL, the reserve pin is pulled out by the departing main canopy.
-the deployment bag is not attached to the reserve and leaves after the canopy is out. If it's not retrieved, it will cost you about 250$ to replace, so the term 'freebag' is slightly misleading.:P
-lastly, while the reserve is essentially propacked (lines in the middle, fabric outside), it is done with much more care than a main and some changes to ensure it deploys fast and clean.

And that's a short simple description. Try and find a rigger who will let you watch him packing a reserve or two. If he doesn't mind answering questions about it so much better. And kudos for being curious about your gear.:)

The deployment is similar to the main with a few differences;
-the pilot chute is spring loaded and held compressed by the closing pin. When you pull the reserve ripcord, the strong spring inside the pilot chute launches it off your back and deployment begins. In case of the RSL, the reserve pin is pulled out by the departing main canopy.
-the deployment bag is not attached to the reserve and leaves after the canopy is out. If it's not retrieved, it will cost you about 250$ to replace, so the term 'freebag' is slightly misleading.:P
-lastly, while the reserve is essentially propacked (lines in the middle, fabric outside), it is done with much more care than a main and some changes to ensure it deploys fast and clean.

And that's a short simple description. Try and find a rigger who will let you watch him packing a reserve or two. If he doesn't mind answering questions about it so much better. And kudos for being curious about your gear.:)

Excellent information! As another noob with not quite enough reserve knowledge, thanks for the assistance. B|
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Everything about the reserve is built for reliability. On a lot of modern mains, manufacturers trade reliability and safety for performane to some degree. obviously they are all still safe, but things like making canopies elliptical enhances performance, but increases the chances of a spinning opening, etc... The reserve d-bag isn't attached to the canopy because it is simpler that way. Once the canopy is out of the bag, it leaves, virtually eliminating things such as the P/C and bridle coming around the nose of the canopy, or entangling with anything else. Reserves are meant to open quickly and reliably, and land safely. This is why they are simple, F-111, 7 cell, freebag canopies. That's my understanding anyway, I don't take my rigger course for another 2 weeks or so!:D
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Last month I had my reserve repacked on a rainy weekday. I thought I would just pull the handles and pick it up when he was done. My rigger asked if I wanted to stay and watch. I was able to pull my handles, see the reserve risers and the canopy and watch him repack it. He explained the process as he went along. I learned a lot that day. If you have your own gear you will probably learn a lot about your reserve canopy if you schedule your repack at a time when you can watch it being repacked. Now that object I am shoving my main D bag up against when closing the container is not such a mystery.

I got to do the same thing. i found that my reserve needed to be repacked and as a student the rigger had me put on my gear and started asking me malfunction questions. Eventually the answer to one of those questions was CUT AWAY! He was like DO IT DO IT DO IT. And I got the chance to pull the cut away and then fire the reserve and feel it shoot of my back and accross the room...grant it no wind prevented anything else from happening, but then he grabbed it and ripped it off my back and let me see it "deploy." That was a good experience and the knowledge gained during that repack was very valuable.
Jump at The Skydivin' Place
http://www.skydivepa-md.com

Understanding the operation of this stuff can really affect whether you live or die in this sport. Knowing how gear works should not be confined to what you own. Even if you rent gear, you can still learn. Most riggers will welcome you to watch a repack or explain components and operation.

kevin

Thank you for that explanation. I was wondering the same. Is there a reason why the bag is not attached to the reserve like it is to the main?

For several reasons. One of them is that if your reserve pilot chute or bridle gets entangled with your chopped main, it will flew away after the reserve is deployed, and will not affect the reserve operation.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Thank you for that explanation. I was wondering the same. Is there a reason why the bag is not attached to the reserve like it is to the main?

For several reasons. One of them is that if your reserve pilot chute or bridle gets entangled with your chopped main, it will flew away after the reserve is deployed, and will not affect the reserve operation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another reason for not tying the pilot chute to the reserve canopy is that it allows manufacturers to drop test, certify and stock one size of pilot chute for all the different sizes of containers.
That way they do not have to worry about too large a pilot chute jolting the system during line stretch.

For example, it looks like UPT or whatever (the old Relative Workshop) uses the same size of reserve pilot chute on all their sizes from Microns containing 97 square foot reserves all the way up to Sigma tandems containing 421 reserves.

BB: Do heavy-weight, high-speed, military Sigmas still use the same ballute type pilot chute?