Ugali

Highest exit speed

Most people on this PLANET think you and I are total loons for jumping out of Properly Operating Aircraft (POA's). I personally think that Joe Kittenger is one of the bravest toughest human beings to ever strap on a parachute. What we do can be construed as lunacy by those who know nothing about our sport, but the facts say that it is relatively safe to be a sport skydiver these days because we are following in the footsteps of many thousands who have contributed to the evolution of our gear. What Joe Kittenger did took real courage because he was a pioneer and there was nobody before him to prove the theories that he tested. He is one of my heroes and has the distinction of being the only man in history to ever go supersonic in a skydive!!!!

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Kittinger? He was a total loon who went up into the upper stratosphere in a balloon, wearing a VERY heavy early spacesuit type thing.

He was a pioneer carrying out important high altitude research for the space program. Someone had to do the jumps and he led from the front.

In short, I think he's an absolute legendB|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Kittinger? He was a total loon who went up into the upper stratosphere in a balloon, wearing a VERY heavy early spacesuit type thing.

He was a pioneer carrying out important high altitude research for the space program. Someone had to do the jumps and he led from the front.

If you talk to some of the jumpers that worked with the program, they tell a much different story. According to several of them, Kittenger was selected soley off him being an officer. Their version of the story has a couple of enlisted jumpers with high hundreds of jumps being passed over just because they were enlisted.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Hey ok look - intent does not always come across in a typed thread and I see that offence can be taken easily, so .....

When I called Kittinger a 'loon' I meant it with a sense of fun, not literally!

When reading people's posts, sometimes the way you first interpret it isnt necessarily the way it was meant.

So, Kittinger is a legend, with a very big manly appendage.

And in case that goes down the wrong way too, I mean he was very brave ;)

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

Hey Ross,
No offense taken, sir. There are just so many different levels of knowledge and understanding here on the forums that you never know if somebody seriously believes some of the stuff they are laying down or if they are just kidding! I also continue to get a kick out of the subtle differences in syntax, culture, etc. between us as we are from all over the world. If I had bothered to read your profile before I responded, I may have realized your jest because of your being Scottish. Then again, I am rather slow on the uptake sometimes, so maybe not!Thanks for the follow up-B|
BSSL, Bill

If you talk to some of the jumpers that worked with the program, they tell a much different story. According to several of them, Kittenger was selected soley off him being an officer. Their version of the story has a couple of enlisted jumpers with high hundreds of jumps being passed over just because they were enlisted.

-Blind
I think it really is a shame when rank and politics prevail over best man for the job and experience. If that it what really happened, too damn bad that the most qualified jumper did not get the opportunity to make those jumps. But the fact remains that Kittinger did make those pioneering jumps, and I think he's one of the greats of his time right along with Crossfield and Yeager, the Mercury 7, etc.

Hey Ross,
No offense taken, sir. There are just so many different levels of knowledge and understanding here on the forums that you never know if somebody seriously believes some of the stuff they are laying down or if they are just kidding! I

My advice - before posting an 'Im offended' post - try Pm'ing or posting to find out if they ARE just kidding, rather than presuming they arent and then posting your rage.

If I had bothered to read your profile before I responded, I may have realized your jest because of your being Scottish.

OK now Im going to presume YOU are kidding. Im english. I live in Scotland. Why should my nationality have ANYTHING to do with whether I joke about a man who jumped from a baloon in the upper stratosphere?? I like having fun - irrespecitve of my ethnic origin!

Remember - this is just a forum. Just because you cannot see the persons face does not mean they are your sworn enemy unless they agree with you 100%. I see this all too often on internet forums - flames and near flames just because someone did not take the time to ask themselves if they had really understood what the post they had read was really saying.

Rather than indulge yourself and gain the satisfaction of quickly letting off steam, try giving people the same benefit of the doubt as you would expect in reaility.

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

Remember - this is just a forum. Just because you cannot see the persons face does not mean they are your sworn enemy unless they agree with you 100%. I see this all too often on internet forums - flames and near flames just because someone did not take the time to ask themselves if they had really understood what the post they had read was really saying.

lets not turn this thread into a flamer.
cool it guys.

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love