DSE

Rating tests

Some of the ratings tests are open book.
10 people in a class.
Friday night, instructors cover all questions on the test. Everyone takes notes.
Saturday afternoon, time to take test.
One guy finishes the test in less than 5 mins, and gets a perfect score. He never cracked the IRM. Didn't have an IRM even close to him in the room.
Turns out that during the pretest review of the questions on Friday, he wrote down the categorical answers ie; 1-A, 2-D, 3-B.
When questioned about how he took the test, he shrugs and says "It was open book, and the answers were in my notes."
Everyone else took at least 20 mins, some took 30 to complete the test, and he received the only 100% in the room. Everyone else ranged in the low to upper 90%
Sunday, he struggles with the orals.
Does he deserve the rating or not?
Is this ethical in your mind?

My question would be what's his motivation.
Mine is to be a good instructor,
Good instructors dont fake it through with limited understanding
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

conscience

some people are bound by adherance to it
some people don't know what it is...[:/]

pity those who take short-cuts, since they only hurt themselves:|
any rating which isn't earned is hollow. and earning something,,, anything, requires time effort, work and mostly Understanding of the subject matter,,,

skating through any testing process demeans the skater,
and shows a lack of consideration for the other candidates.....

Congratulations on your own accomplishment.

those who get ratings just to say they HAVE ratings,,,, do little to impress Me....
rather, those who get ratings in order to share their knowledge, work with new comers, hone their own instructing abilities, and help grow this sport, are the real heroes.....

he may have been 'clever ' to bend the open book rule. but we don't need any 'clever' ratings holders....
save that stuff for the boardroom, or some other cut-throat business.
Peace of mind in any accomplishment, enhances the experience.......If this candidate struggled through the oral questions and answers,,,then he KNOWS his own limitations....
and you and the other candidates know them too........:|

iligitimi non carborundum.... "don't let the bastards wear you down";)

jmy
a3914
d12122

Conscience is what drove me to post. Not out to "get the other guy" but wanting a reality check for myself.

The instructor was as surprised as anyone that the open book option was relegated to a "I have all the answers on a sheet, I don't need to read the questions."
I don't know what the instructor will do; we've still got the aerial work to do since weather busted us on Sunday.
For me, my self-respect wouldn't allow me to have taken the test without reading the questions and knowing the material. I suppose I'm an idealist.

Turns out that during the pretest review of the questions on Friday, he wrote down the categorical answers ie; 1-A, 2-D, 3-B.
When questioned about how he took the test, he shrugs and says "It was open book, and the answers were in my notes."

Sounds like a dumb way to administer any test.

if you look at your tests for your C license, Coach license, AFF, and (I believe) tandem rating, they're all open book as outlined in the IRM and SIM.
Might be dumb, but that's how the USPA set it up.

if you look at your tests for your C license, Coach license, AFF, and (I believe) tandem rating, they're all open book as outlined in the IRM and SIM.
Might be dumb, but that's how the USPA set it up.

I have no issue with an open book test, i do have an issue with not understanding the questions and not knowing how to resource the answers. Memorising 1-A 2-C, shows no level of understanding at all
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?