Stumpy

Shoulder (AC Joint) Problems

Anyone had issues with this? experiences?

I hurt it playing rugby a few weeks back. Most of the pain is gone now and i have close to full mobility back but there is still a bump and am thinking i ought to go see a doctor, but not massively keen on the idea of surgery. Anyone had anything similar?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Anyone had issues with this? experiences?

I hurt it playing rugby a few weeks back. Most of the pain is gone now and i have close to full mobility back but there is still a bump and am thinking i ought to go see a doctor, but not massively keen on the idea of surgery. Anyone had anything similar?

Let me guess... you have a lump on top of your shoulder, out at the end of the collarbone? If so, that's a grade 2 or grade 3 A/C joint separation.

I had a 3rd degree A/C separation 20 years ago. My options were:

1. natural stabilization: 60-80% use, risk of dislocation (as told by Dr.)
2. surgery: up to 100% use, no risk of dislocation (assuming no complications from surgery {very uncommon}).

Guess which option I went with?

My surgery was a bit more involved than most, as I had to wait almost 3 months for a surgery slot (military hospital). I was in physical therapy (in hospital) 2 days after the surgery and in the hospital for 7 days due to having an implanted surgical drain. Once I was released, I continued therapy and returned after 3.5 months to get the hardware out. I have full range of motion and strength in the shoulder.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Anyone had issues with this.........I hurt it playing rugby a few weeks back

Yes. Rugby=Pain.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I had a grade 2 AC separation when I went over the handlebars of my bike and landed on my shoulder in a dry creekbed. The same shoulder, in fact, that I had dislocated less than a year earlier exiting a Skyvan. Anyway, I saw a doc that same day and he said it would heal up fine, but that I might have a bump. Which I do, by the way. Other than the bump, it works great. You might want to see a doc anyway just to make sure there isn't an other damage though.

Yeah thats the one - but i would say i already have about 80% of use back. I am guessing its not as bad as yours but I probably should go see a doc again. I did go to a&e when i did it (it was really painful at that point but they never x-rayed it.

Think the rugby will have to stop though....
Never try to eat more than you can lift

As they say on the webpages - surgery isnt mandatory. Given the information that my doctors gave me, I wasn't willing to accept the possibility of dislocations and reduced use, that's all.

Good luck with it!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706