hjumper33

Hooking up a main backwards...

There is also a simple tool that takes the guesswork out of it. Two pieces of stiff cardboard, 2 inches by 6 inches. One stowing band goes around both holding them flat and together in the center. When removing each riser, place it between the cardboard just above the three rings, and put a second stowing band outboard around the cardboard to hold the cardboard together and the riser in place. Repeat with the other side. Mark an easy to read L on the left side, and . . . . . R on the right side. I keep one in my riggers kit all the time.

Some people might think this odd and "dangerous", but back in the '80s we would sometimes take a buddy's rig and hook his main up backwards as a joke. Seriously. You have to understand that most canopies were 200 square feet and larger and "square." The last time it was ever done to me I was jumping a Monarch 135. I swooped it backwards through the peas at Raeford no sweat.

Definitely not something I would do to a buddy these days under a sub-100 crossbraced canopy though.

Man, those were fun days though!

Chuck

I have swapped out packed canopies several times without any problems by marking the left/right risers, but once I screwed it up and didn't notice it till I was under the canopy.

I had the risers on the correct sides so the canopy was flying in the right direction, but the right riser had somehow gotten a full twist in it. Initially I think this twist would have locked the steering on the right side. I simply moved the twist down from the lines into the riser so I could fly the canopy.

The only minor problem was the canopy had a slow built in right turn due to the effective shortening of the right side lines.

Landed it without any problem and swore not to do that again.

I find I always notice the canopy's hooked up backwards at packing time, either when the lines in the 6 groups in my hands don't go to the right places, or (if it's really early in the morning :P) when I can't find the nose _anywhere_ to start flaking it.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

My first sports rig used to belong to Gary Cobb.

I believe he went on to make over 1000 jumps on that set of gear flying backwards.

It had BCRW-1 embroidered on the mudflap and you can still see the odd sticker floating around dropzones around here with the same printed on them

See pictures on Wendy's page:
http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/Backwards.html

The only method that's ever worked for me consistently is a purpose-built bag with a riser-keeper on the outside that both held the risers and the bag and prevented them from turning.

I've found commonly available plastic storage containers that worked great. (E.g., Rubbermaid 17 l / 4.5 US gal "Roughtote" bin)

If one gets the size just right, the bagged canopy fits in snugly without room to roll around. The risers are neatly laid out over one edge of the bin. The lid is flexible enough to snap on and stay in place with the risers over the lip, so that it traps the risers in place. Adding riser keepers, like billvon has done, would make it even more secure.

More people should mark their risers for left & right too. It's a real help when untangling or reconnecting a canopy yet takes so little time to do.

(I jump a rig in which I put a removable pillow system so I can swap between a couple canopies. With a full set of PC, bag, and risers for each canopy, I can swap quickly without repacking. Never made a mistake hooking up the canopies...yet.)

once, having unhooked the canopy and re-hooked it up w/o taking it out of the bag, somehow one 3ring had passed through the V in the other risers.

It ended up that my risers were on the proper sides, but i had a backward flying canopy with the risers crossed in front of me... kindof a linetwist that woulnd't escape because one riser was trapped by the other. But it was there, square (ok, elliptical), stable, slider down and steerable...... so i landed it.

Hence the name, "Reverso Rodriguez"

PS. i had opened high so there was little traffic, and i made sure to land at the far end of the field to avoid other canopies.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time