ripcord4

Ted Strong "Hawk"

Just picked up an old Hawk harness & container in pretty good condition. I was told it had a 220 Firefly canopy in it previously. Will this hold a Spectre 210 or 230? I can't find a volume measurement for the Firefly to compare with the Spectre's is why I ask.

Just picked up an old Hawk harness & container in pretty good condition. I was told it had a 220 Firefly canopy in it previously.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's odd!
I remember Django's Firefly as having more like 176 square feet. I could go measure the Firefly in the back of my loft.
When Django folded and re-opened as Glide Path, they sold the Firelite 176.
Anyways, the bulky Dacron lines on a Firelfy will push the pack volume up into the range of a 200-plus square foot canopy with Spectra lines.

It was not unheard of to add a couple of cells to the end of a Firefly, making it into a 220-sq-ft nine-cell canopy. I did it when mine had a few hundred jumps; I was not getting younger, and neither was it. For $300 I had, effectively, a close-to-new canopy.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Mea Culpa: I should have said Dragonfly.

And, the Dragonfly was a 220 sq. ft. 9 cell....essentially a 9 cell Firefly. A 210 or 230 Spectre should fit in there easy...might even be too loose.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Mea Culpa: I should have said Dragonfly.

And, the Dragonfly was a 220 sq. ft. 9 cell....essentially a 9 cell Firefly. A 210 or 230 Spectre should fit in there easy...might even be too loose.

AAAhhhh, the first production 9 cell. Sweet landings after all of those Swift, Strato flier and Strato star landings (I know I was a Paraflite whore back then!)!!!! I loved mine, it was however the first canopy I had to chop "in anger" ending an 1100 (somthing) jump record without a reserve ride. (K XX (round 20' diameter)):( After I did the upper control line mod it was just fine. The Bandit, the next generation production 9 cell did not land so well as it was around 170 sq' as opposed to the DF's 220 sq'. Of course this all predates ZP fabric. Good times!!!:)

Mick.

The Bandit, the next generation production 9 cell did not land so well as it was around 170 sq' as opposed to the DF's 220 sq'. Of course this all predates ZP fabric. Good times!!!:)
I loved my Bandit...SN 0069...I picked it up at the Freak Brothers Convention in Freeport Illinois in 1983. Front-risered and swooped the landings ... which were spectacular back then and nothing compared to what people do now .... it was a ton of fun!

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey