rickjump1

4 cylinder Toyota trucks in mountains

I have a 2007 Tacoma access cab 4x4, 5 speed manual, with the 2.7L 4 cyl.

I'm not in the mountains but I've taken it some damn steep hills and never had a problem. You wont be doing the REAL steep inclines in 4th or 5th gear, but 1, 2, and 3 have plenty of torque and how fast you need to be going in the mountains anyway?
__

My mighty steed

Smaller mountains and older truck, but back in 83 I drove a toy 4 banger 4X4 for a survey crew in the Blue ridge mountains adn it did fine. I couldn't get it stuck if I tried, adn since it was the boss's truck, I tried hard.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

The altitude is pretty tough on those 4 bangers. They do ok on the flats but you won't be able to keep up with traffic on the hills, especially with the higher speed limits. Head winds can also present a problem. If you are going to be running around off road it will be fine.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Smaller mountains and older truck, but back in 83 I drove a toy 4 banger 4X4 for a survey crew in the Blue ridge mountains adn it did fine. I couldn't get it stuck if I tried, adn since it was the boss's truck, I tried hard.

This will be a 4x4 also. Thought about the fuel mileage with the 4 banger. Thanks
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

The altitude is pretty tough on those 4 bangers. They do ok on the flats but you won't be able to keep up with traffic on the hills, especially with the higher speed limits. Head winds can also present a problem. If you are going to be running around off road it will be fine.

Yep, I can live being passed considering the gas mileage with the 4 banger.

I've driven just that truck here in Colorado a few times. For the most part you'll be fine. The truck was a little slow keeping up with traffic on the steep grades, but no where near as slow as some of the big rigs out there. On the side roads, it did just fine. Just keep to the right lane on the uphills and you'll have no worries.

As far as snow goes, it's june now and there were chain laws in effect on I-70 this morning. :S You never know what you're going to get.

Is anyone driving a Toyota Tacoma with the 2.7L engine in the Rocky Mountains? Does it have the power? Not gonna tow or haul anything big.

There is a thread about the 2.7 at

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=117044

Proper gearing is critical, especially if you go to oversize tires.

You might look at pirate4x4 and TTORA for more info.

Their EPA sticker estimate aint that far off the mark.
About 2/3 of my driving is local and 1/3 is highway.

I average around 20 mpg which is not bad at all for a truck.
__

My mighty steed

Just do us all a favor and stay to the right!!! And use the turnouts when it's a two lane and you've got a line of cars behind you.

Certainly. Slower traffic to the right. Will use turnouts. People get frisky and a bit of road rage when somebody spends their life in the left lane. I spent a bit of time in the right lane up there with a 97 Subaru 4 banger and a little less with a Honda Element. Just wondered about the Toyota.;)

Throw in a 4-2-1 header for better low end torque and no problems... also new air intake and you are good to go

Would that help gas mileage? I would think the air intake would.

Throw in a 4-2-1 header for better low end torque and no problems... also new air intake and you are good to go

Would that help gas mileage? I would think the air intake would.

Yes and no.

Yes if you keep your foot light on the throttle, however with the added power if you decide to stomp on it a lot then you will see your gas mileage stay about the same or even go down a little bit.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I don't know as the 4 bangers are that much better, my F-250 Power Stroke gets 2 miles better than my old Nissan 2.4L. Several years ago I was coming across the Pan Handle of TX and was fighting a VERY stiff head wind and never got out of 3rd gear for several hundred miles. The mileage was literally cut in half. When I could I would try to draft an 18 wheeler, but sometimes just couldn't keep up.
I guided hunters in NM and the Nissan was great for getting around in the mountains but sucked for getting to and from sometimes.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

I hope to use this truck mainly in the local area and not too many excursions once I get it there. When I pass or go up a steep hill in the 97 Subaru, I turn off the air conditioner for a little micro horse power.