SARLDO

Buying without getting scammed

Hello,

I am a student looking to buy my first rig. I found a pretty good deal (or so it appears) in the classified section but, the seller wants me to send the money before I can get my hands on the rig. I would prefer to have my local rigger receive the rig (as a third party rep), inspect it for me, and allow me the chance to look it over before sending any money. I'm still new to this but what is the protocol for these sort of transactions? I don't want to offend, nor do I want to be scammed out of a few thoulsand dollars.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Hello,

I am a student looking to buy my first rig. I found a pretty good deal (or so it appears) in the classified section but, the seller wants me to send the money before I can get my hands on the rig. I would prefer to have my local rigger receive the rig (as a third party rep), inspect it for me, and allow me the chance to look it over before sending any money. I'm still new to this but what is the protocol for these sort of transactions? I don't want to offend, nor do I want to be scammed out of a few thoulsand dollars.

The "trusted third party" is pretty typical protocol in the sport, at least for higher-dollar purchases. If the seller's not willing to work with you to figure out something that works for both of you, it might be a great deal but it's not the right deal for yo.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Send your money to a neutral rigger; he does the same with the rig. Then when the rigger is satisfied with the rig he gives the guy the money, and you the rig.

I bought mine sight unseen off ebay. It went well, but I had some moments where I was worried about the transaction. Dealing through a rigger would have saved me some worrisome moments.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I've done it both ways and have not gotten scammed yet. If I dont do the escrow thing then I am asking for references etc. from people on here that know me and know the other person. If I can't get any references then I don't buy.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I have been ripped off on e-bay. Not skydiving related, but man it pissed me off! It's easy to be had. And there is not a whole lot you can do about it for smaller purchases.

I'd go as far as to call the home dropzone of the jumper in question and ask for references, preferably from a rigger.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I usually do business like that, it helps if you can tell the seller is "known" on dropzone.com ie posts here a lot and people seem to know him/her. It's a pretty small world.... I sell and buy quite a lot this way and have never gotten burned :) :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia