tr027

Seam Sealing

I'd like to get the impressions of riggers towards seam sealing a parachute. I recently came across silicon glue for seam sealing tents (waterproofing seams) and fixing small holes. Seems that using such a product to seal the seams on a parachute from leaking air might be useful, especially on older canopies or F111. Is the air lost through the seams enough to make a noticeable difference though? (perhaps only larger canopies with more area) Thanks
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I'd like to get the impressions of riggers towards seam sealing a parachute. I recently came across silicon glue for seam sealing tents (waterproofing seams) and fixing small holes. Seems that using such a product to seal the seams on a parachute from leaking air might be useful, especially on older canopies or F111. Is the air lost through the seams enough to make a noticeable difference though? (perhaps only larger canopies with more area) Thanks

I'm not a rigger, but I think it would make packing into an exercize in pure hell.

If you cant force air out through the seams your pack volume is going to go up to the point where you'll never get the thing into the container...
It'll be HUGE
__

My mighty steed

I'm not a rigger, but I think it would make packing into an exercize in pure hell.

If you cant force air out through the seams your pack volume is going to go up to the point where you'll never get the thing into the container...
It'll be HUGE

I believe one of the Atair guys has a Cobalt made of some special fabric with welded seams that was impossible to pack for that reason.

I'd like to get the impressions of riggers towards seam sealing a parachute... especially on older canopies or F111.

You would be playing with fire. If you treat the entire canopy, it would completely change the opening and flying characteristics for which it was designed.

We had a guy in the Houston area a few years ago who would treat old canopies like that with a silicone spray to try and rejuvenate them. The problem is, they would open harder, and just start tearing apart on opening at the weakest point. So then they had to start making modifications to the slider, nose, etc., in order to make them open slower so they wouldn't blow apart.

Bottom line, in my opinion: it just ain't worth it.

Save the seam sealer for waterproofing your tent.

I'm not a rigger, but I've been around a while and seen a lot of stuff.

Forget seam sealing a non zp canopy. Almost all of the air comes through the fabric itself. ZP fabric is essentially "seam sealed" all over but definately NOT something you can do to a non zp canopy.

The tent seam sealer is essential model glue. It's not quite the same but think of it that way. It leaves a film that probably wouldn't survive more than a few pack jobs and openings.

There is NO reason to try to seam seal a ZP canopy. Leaking air through the needles is NOT a problem, it's an advantage for packing. The ZP helps by maintaining a more rigid wing and by not having air bleed through the fabric of the airfoil and disrupting the air flow over the wing. Potentially there might be a miniscule advantage but not worthe the effort. If you never seam sealed a tent you don't know what a pain that is. Seam sealing a canopy would take the patience of a saint.

Not to mention there is no guarentee that all of the stitches in your canopy wouldn't fall apart.;) If you don't know that it's been tested, don't put it on. Granted, it probably wouldn't make it fall apart since it's used on nylon tents but no need to risk it.

This idea reminds me of the guy who saw the laundry marker at the sewing store said "Safe for all fabrics" so he changed his rig, harness and containers, from blue to black! :S Immedieately grounded.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have talked with PD. Reps have told me that it is a future step in the construction of upcoming models. They also said they are still trying to figure it out (actual implementation,openings, Ect Ect).
I would not try it unless your willing to except the consequences

The performance gain on a new HP canopy is a noticeable amount only if your using the canopy very well ( thats what I was told by the PD guy).

I think your better off letting someone else do the testing.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.