sartre

Opinions/experience re:GPS units

Yea, but like, the sucker-thingie doesn't have much stamina.[:/]

:P

I put mine on a clean windshield and, when I needed to reposition it, had to slide a putty knife behind the disc to break the suction - so I can't help you there.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You can't go wrong with a garmin. I have the 200, and my dad and my boyfriend both have the 350s, I think. I'm amazed at how much I use the thing. It's wonderful to look at the gas gauge and say "I need gas." and just hit the "find gas" buttons on the garmin, and find out there's a station a block down, turn right. When James and I were driving up to Davis, he'd forgotten his sunglasses and needed to buy some. Instead of driving through town searching for a SportMart or something, we checked the GPS, realized there was nothing nearby that would carry good sunglasses, and he just bought a cheap pair when we stopped for dinner.

James and I even named his Garmin... we call it "Karen" because the voice we chose is "Australia Female - Karen". It's funny when he says "Get Karen out of the glove box" when there's someone in the car that doesn't know.

I've been trying to think of a name for mine... my friend said I should just call it "Hermione" because I've got the Brit voice on, and she knows everything. :P

I've got a couple of Garmin units that work great. A Nuvi 270 which has comes preloaded w/ maps for Europe as well as the US. (Used it in Sweden and Finland last month - it was great.) Also have a 76Cs for backcountry (climbing / backpacking) use.

(Although my Nuvi doesn't have the FM traffic receiver, other more expensive Nuvi models do.)

Also - especially for backcountry use - it IS a good idea to also have the old fashioned "analog" model available in case the new fangled one dies (or your (ex)climbing buddy DROPS the @#$@# thing off a cliff...)

Yeah, the British voice (or Aussie, whichever it is) doesn't sound as bossy as the American one... ;)

The British voice is usually named Emily in the text-to-speech models, where it actually reads the street names. The Aussie is Karen. The British voice is slightly harder to understand, IMO, so we went with Aussie. Jill, the American, sounds like a bitch, so we turned her off.