RALFFERS

Car Trouble

OK, I realize I drive a piece of shit, in that it isn't all that visually appealing, but up until now it hasn't caused me any trouble and therefore, mechanically it has been very dependible. It's a 94 Mercury Tracer, with 67,000 miles on it (when I bought it from an elderly lady who only drove it to the drug and grocery store it had 58,000); it has a 1.9 liter engine. Again, up until now I haven't had any problems, but lately it hasn't been burning gas, it GAUZELS gas! I can lieterally see the needle going down as I'm driving. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong and how much it would cost to fix?? There is no way on God's green earth it should be consuming this much gas. I had the fuel injectors cleanded, and so thats not it. Maybe I just need a new car?...:S....B|....:|
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

OK, I realize I drive a piece of shit, in that it isn't all that visually appealing, but up until now it hasn't caused me any trouble and therefore, mechanically it has been very dependible. It's a 94 Mercury Tracer, with 67,000 miles on it (when I bought it from an elderly lady who only drove it to the drug and grocery store it had 58,000); it has a 1.9 liter engine. Again, up until now I haven't had any problems, but lately it hasn't been burning gas, it GAUZELS gas! I can lieterally see the needle going down as I'm driving. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong and how much it would cost to fix?? There is no way on God's green earth it should be consuming this much gas. I had the fuel injectors cleanded, and so thats not it. Maybe I just need a new car?...:S....B|....:|

How many gallons does the tank hold and how far are you getting on the full tank?

Have you checked for fuel leaks?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hmm...possible, but not probable. I'd do the air filter and plugs first - those are the easy ones - I'd do those, then see if it improves. Then I'd have a shop pull the OBDC codes and do the O2 sensor(s), Mass air sensor and cat if needed...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sorry im probably wrong but i understood that the catalytic converter burns fuel that your engine didnt burn,......i dont understand why it would affect your gas mileage. Might just be a O2 sensor throwing air/fuel flow out of whack

Not only will you look better, feel better, and fuck better; you'll have significantly increased your life expectancy. --Douva

How suddenly did it start gobbling gas? Last 100 mi? Gradually over a year?

Please give some specifics on how much gas its sucking now v. before?

Is it running like shit? (i assume not, or you'd have said so)

Is it throwing a "check engine" light? (i assume not, or you'd have said so) If so, find the code(s). You CAN do it yourself, if you want.

The questions above are pretty important as far as ruling certain things out.

Assuming Sudden (last tankfull or two), Large (30%+), increases in fuel consumption, it could be due to:

Plugs and/or wires (should run like shit. might/might not throw "check engine" light)

Mass Air Flow Sensor (might/might not throw a "check engine light")

Fuel Pressure Regulator (might/might not run like shit. might/might not throw "check engine")

Stuck full-open Injector (WILL run like shit. should throw "check engine light")

Stuck part-open (won't fully close) injector (might/might not run like shit. ditto for "check engine"

Fuel leak (look, sniff for one. avoid using a candle or matches if it's dark)

Short in in injector wiring causing full-open injector(s) (been there. same as Stuck full-open Injector)

Bad ECU (computer) (should throw "check engine" light, but that's up to the (bad) computer to decide)

Parking brake left on (just kidding..., but its probably happened before)

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate your input. Here is what I got so far: it's not leaking gas (initially I thought it was) but I don't smell anything. The air filter was replaced not too long ago (if my memory serves me correctly) and so thats out. So that leaves a couple of things to check; it could be the computer or some sensor. This has only been an issue since the last fill-up, so I don't know how far I'm getting on 1 tank, I will be monitoring that though. It also could be the gas gaudge itself, which from what I understand is pretty expensive to fix...? A lot of you said take to a dealer and have it checked, and than fix it myself...do they check it free of charge?? That would be really cool. I can also take it to my mechanic, who has yet to screw me over in 3 years. I'll know soon enough what the deal is I suppose.

Damn.... with trying to save up for tunnel time, AFF, and later on gear, the last thing I want to be doing is putting money into my car [:/] Unfortunately, it's 60 miles to the DZ-not like I could hop on a bus:|

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of