arni999

Relining PD 176 Main (7 Cell)

How difficult/uncommon is it to reline a an old pd 7 cell main? I'm looking at putting a PD 176 main in my container for a few jumps until i downsize to my 150. The canopy has 550 jumps on it so i think it will need a new line set. I spoke to one rigger already that said relining that sort of canopy would be strange and is not normal. i didn't take it any further and so was wondering what other people thought about this. Has anyone got a PD 176 that they've relined recently? If so how much did it cost?

Blue Skies

Mikey
------------------------------------------
Fear Is Weakness Leaving Your Body

I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary about them, just that no one jumps them anymore. And, why would you spend the money on religning it when you are only going to jump it for for a short while. My guess would be around $200 for the relign. Probably will be just fine as is.
my pics & stuff!

Making crap up?:)
Well, most PD 9-cells and 7-cell f-111 canopys that I have seen have been quite ragged out by the time the lines are so out of trim or worn that it needs a re-line. This usually happens around 700 to 1000 jumps for spectra lines. These canopys are usually not very sensitive to differences in line trim and you can often get away with more jumps on the lineset compared to more high performance canopys.

Mind you that it usually is possible to put a few 100 more jumps on it after a re-line but I usually don't think that the cost of a reline is worth doing it. On larger f-111 canopys with a much lower wingloading I might consider it worth it.

For the cost of a reline you might be able to get your hands on a used PD-canopy with a couple more 100 jumps left in it.

Oh, about the facts. I have a old PD-176 7-cell in my closet with 800 jumps on it, and I can tell you it really doesnt flare at all any more, but the lines are still pretty OK. ;)

So Space, instead of being slightly insulting, whats your take on it? Do you think its worth the money?

Hey Sparky!

We did make the PD 7-cell in 176 as well (not CRW specific).
It's an old design for sure, and if the canopy is starting to get a bit worn the flare performance has likely started to suffer.

Blooos!
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Hey Sparky!

It's an old design for sure, and if the canopy is starting to get a bit worn the flare performance has likely started to suffer.

Blooos!
Kolla

Thank you Kolla.

That had to be awhile ago, I can't remember ever see one.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So... with this in mind, at 550 jumps, would it be safe to say that there will be hardly any flare left in it? Problem is, i cant test jump it as it isnt in a container

Blue Skies

Mikey

When I talked to PD about a rig I was interested in buying they said that they could test the porosity of the fabric and determine if it is safe to jump.

Maybe you can send it away to them, and have them reline it if they determine it is still ok.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

So... with this in mind, at 550 jumps, would it be safe to say that there will be hardly any flare left in it? Problem is, i cant test jump it as it isnt in a container

Blue Skies

This is just my opinion but I would pass an a canopy that old and that small since you only have about 50 jumps. :)

This is just my opinion but I would pass an a canopy that old and that small since you only have about 50 jumps. :)

- I'll second that motion. PD can inspect the main and check the porosity levels, but by the time you have paid for shipping costs, inpection, reline (if needed) and the canopy.... I just can't help but thinking that money would be better put towards a more modern model, of appropriate size.

Best of luck finding gear!
Blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Hey Sparky!

Blooos!
Kolla

Thank you Kolla.

That had to be awhile ago, I can't remember ever see one.

Set the "way back machine" here. That's when PD couldn't afford full page color ads, they were limited to small (around 5"x 8") B'n'W ads in Skydiving magazine!! Back when they were based in Hileia FL(sp?).

Mick.

Set the "way back machine" here. That's when PD couldn't afford full page color ads, they were limited to small (around 5"x 8") B'n'W ads in Skydiving magazine!! Back when they were based in Hileia FL(sp?).

Mick,

You are talking about a lot of dead brain cells since then. :S

Mick,

You are talking about a lot of dead brain cells since then. :S

Yep, you're probably right!!!:ph34r: I think you need to find a hobby because of all your nocturnal ramblings!!!!!! How about learning to skydive!! It could be good for you! You never know it could be good for you!!:D

Mick.

PS: Take the fucking tag line that quotes me of of your posts!!:D It makes me look bad!!!!!:D:D:D Remember we are sworn enemies over the Catapult, Savvy?

Mick.

PS: Take the fucking tag line that quotes me of of your posts!! It makes me look bad!!!!! Remember we are sworn enemies over the Catapult, Savvy?

Is that better, you big cry baby.

What Catapult thing?:)

PS: Take the fucking tag line that quotes me of of your posts!! It makes me look bad!!!!! Remember we are sworn enemies over the Catapult, Savvy?

Is that better, you big cry baby.

What Catapult thing?:)

Much much better! I don't like being qouted in the
"press". It hurts my" carefully cultiveted image".!:ph34r::ph34r:

OK, Im full of crap on this one.:D Have at it!!!;)

Mick.

This is just my opinion but I would pass an a canopy that old and that small since you only have about 50 jumps.

Yeah, i only have about 50 jumps but i only weigh 130lbs. I was jumping a 170 silhouette in Spain after my consols so a 170 is ok. I can see where you are coming from though if somebody heavier were to jump it :)

Mikey