PLFXpert

Need a New Cell Phone

I've been with Verizon for years. I'm loyal, but...

I haven't yet looked into all the different phone options.

I need one w/ internet capabilities, e-mail, etc. I like a qwerty keyboard. I don't much give a shit about taking pictures & video, but it'd be nice to also have that as an option in case I find myself held hostage or something.

I just got an ad in the mail for Helio. The particular phone presented was "Ocean". And I liked the name.

The name is also important. I don't want "Blackjack" as it's not a game I play often.

So, before I do some shopping, please tell me which you prefer and why.

Do NOT sell me a phone that requires Cingular (ATT) wireless or Sprint.:S

Anything else I'm open to hearing/reading/learning more about.

Shpanks.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I just went through that myself.I looked at all of the providers and the best I could find was Verizon.
So, after two months of looking, I went back to Verizon
and got my new every two phone again.. It was cheaper anyway!!! Have fun looking!!!:)

Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

I had Verizon for years and really liked it. I use Cingular now only because my parents have it and never use all their minutes so they told me if I switch over I could use them. I like the extra free minutes but, I do prefer Verizion. It seemed to have more coverage in my area and it is the only phone company that doesn't mess with the radios in my plane.

BTW a Black Jack is also a BASE canopy if the game really bothers you:P

I have a krazor. I like the phone but, hate the nameB|:D

Fly like a girl

Motorola Q. If you can wait a couple months, the Motorola Q9m is coming with Verizon soon.

If I were you, I would stay away from Helio, they operate on Sprint's network.

If you're not into Moto products, the LG enV isn't a bad option either.

The Samsung U740 doesn't impress me at all.

AT&T's network is about to undergo massive overload and dropped calls from all the iPhones they're activating. GSM is okay technology, but it's not clean, and adding a million customers in a weekend is going to put the network in a real bind.

Of all the choices, I'd pick the Moto Q or Q9m with Verizon.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

motorola is coming out with a new, slimmer, bigger screend razr, sometime this month. don't know when the carriers will start offering it though. if it's as tough as my first generation razr, it'll be a good phone.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Motorola Q. If you can wait a couple months, the Motorola Q9m is coming with Verizon soon.

I am pretty loyal to Verizon for a number of reasons. I'm 99% sure I wouldn't leave them. But, I'm also not as "in" to these sorts of things as others. I know there are quite a few techies on the board that might have preferences for various reasons I'd be interested in hearing.

Then again, my father usually will respond "for what you need/will actually use it for--any of them should do.":D

It's true. With most things, my shit has to break for me to upgrade and buy a new one. And though I've said it before, I'm still a little miffed I turned in my old phone. It was a Nokia, about the size of a block of cheese and not at all lightweight. But, fully charged, it would last a week left on, w/out recharging. The reception was incredible. When I turned it in to get a new one (that one didn't text, and though I'm not a big texter, I needed to text once in a while) the guy said they definitely don't make them like that anymore--battery life and signal have been compromised for smaller size and more features.

It was a good phone.:(

My current one isn't broken by any means, but after it's fully charged, I can really only talk on it for 20 minutes before it starts beeping in my ear that the batter is low.[:/] Since I could really use one with internet capabilities, etc (for times when I really dont' need to lug a laptop) I figured I might as well just buy a new phone.

And if you're still reading at this point.. :$:D:P...anyone with preferences on Verizon network phones would be greatly appreciated.:)
And after that, the next step is actually remembering to bring it with me when I leave the house.:D:P

As far as Verizon Wireless goes, I too am pretty loyal. I would avoid the Treo line as the Palm OS is full of security holes and I don't think the phones are very well built. The Moto Q has better tactile feedback.

If you really have a business need for it too, then consider the new Blackberry 8830 "world" phone.

Either the Q or 8830 can be tethered to a laptop or used online themselves.

Also, if you don't mind the phone you have, it's probably just the battery at the end of its life, a new battery would fix that easily.

Finally, I have read on some of the blogs that LG and Motorola are prepping iPhone "killers" for Verizon. Might be worth the wait.

If you don't mind not having a QWERTY phone, the LG VX8700 is really sharp, I've had it for few months now and am very happy with it.
Make light!

I am pretty loyal to Verizon for a number of reasons. I'm 99% sure I wouldn't leave them.

After having Verizon for 5 years, my old phone died and I wanted to replace it with a Motorola Razr. Verizon was happy to sell it to me...but with the Bluetooth crippled so I could not transfer files (audio/photo/video) to/from my computer. They expected me to use my minutes to transfer files between my phone and computer via their phone network.

I went to Sprint and got exactly the SAME phone, for the SAME price, FULLY FUNCTIONAL.

Fuck any company that wants to cripple the products they resell to the public just to extract more money from the customers. If they can' understand they exist to serve the customer, and not the other way around, they deserve no customers at all.

And the amusing thing was that when I stopped into the local Verizon office to cancel my service, the guys working there understood the issue and were completely sympathetic.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I am pretty loyal to Verizon for a number of reasons. I'm 99% sure I wouldn't leave them.

After having Verizon for 5 years, my old phone died and I wanted to replace it with a Motorola Razr. Verizon was happy to sell it to me...but with the Bluetooth crippled so I could not transfer files (audio/photo/video) to/from my computer. They expected me to use my minutes to transfer files between my phone and computer via their phone network.

I went to Sprint and got exactly the SAME phone, for the SAME price, FULLY FUNCTIONAL.

Fuck any company that wants to cripple the products they resell to the public just to extract more money from the customers. If they can' understand they exist to serve the customer, and not the other way around, they deserve no customers at all.

And the amusing thing was that when I stopped into the local Verizon office to cancel my service, the guys working there understood the issue and were completely sympathetic.

That is my only criticism of Verizon. They love to cripple the functionality of their phones. However, their "smart" phones are not crippled like that. They also don't keep you from finding fully functional CDMA phones and using them on their network, they just won't provide technical support.
Make light!

I just got the LG enV.

I spent two hours looking and comparing all the phones.

My "business" needs for it are limited to e-mail and web (not to mention I have a separate work cell my company pays for.)

I hope I made the right decision. Frankly I thought I'd end up with a Blackberry World but, when I compared it to the LG enV it seemed like both had what I needed and the LG had a ton more "fun" features if I ever wanted it.

I was eligible for an upgrade & an online discount so it ended up being free and my plan price/details didn't change.

We'll see.:S:P

Now, I'm just waiting for our living room old-school big screen TV to die so I can start looking seriously at HD, flat-panel, widescreen TVs. >:(:D:P

If you don't mind not having a QWERTY phone, the LG VX8700 is really sharp, I've had it for few months now and am very happy with it.

That's what I got last night. It's now paired with the stereo in my new truck. It seems pretty nice to me, but I've only sent one text with it though, and made two calls, so my opinion isn't worth much. The screen clarity and camera resolution are really good (though I wish I'd noticed it doesn't have a flash). What kind of memory would one need to postwhore on dz.com? Shortly after starting to load the first page, I get a "not enough memory" error. I've got 512 mb card, though I doubt that's a factor (doesn't store cache there)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I bought the VX8700 a few months ago now... it's the first phone I've had that I can actually say I love. I even had a guy try to hit on me b/c it's such a cool phone :ph34r: Sorry Dave... I refuse to use my phone for surfing the web :|

I'm looking at helio myself for when my contract with ATT expires in Aug. The GPS stuff looks super cool and the rate plans seem better than what I can get with ATT, only thing holding me off right now is the microsoft exchange access, on the other hand we have a normal website to access our exchange server so it may be a non issue.
Fly it like you stole it!

That's what I got last night. It's now paired with the stereo in my new truck. It seems pretty nice to me, but I've only sent one text with it though, and made two calls, so my opinion isn't worth much. The screen clarity and camera resolution are really good (though I wish I'd noticed it doesn't have a flash). What kind of memory would one need to postwhore on dz.com? Shortly after starting to load the first page, I get a "not enough memory" error. I've got 512 mb card, though I doubt that's a factor (doesn't store cache there)

It's got a WAP browser, so traditional "surfing" isn't possible.
Make light!

Clicky

You'll pay more, but you can get an unlocked phone - not tied to any particular carrier - especially nice if you use GSM.

I've been happy with my Moto PEBL. Small enough to drop in a pocket (can't really do that with a RAZR unless you're into the 'big'n'baggy-wear'), good loud ring and good battery life. It also has voice command dialing - instead of having to pick 5 - 10 people that you most call and voice tag their entry, you can voice dial anyone in your phone book.

One downside: lack of decent wired headsets (micro usb connector instead of 2.5mm stereo jack)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You'll pay more, but you can get an unlocked phone - not tied to any particular carrier - especially nice if you use GSM.

Well, in the US, you're tied to either AT&T or T-Mobile. T-Mobile's network is a skeleton and AT&T's, while bigger, I'm sure isn't ready for massive influx of customers they gained with the iPhone launch.
Make light!

Well, in the US, you're tied to either AT&T or T-Mobile. T-Mobile's network is a skeleton and AT&T's, while bigger, I'm sure isn't ready for massive influx of customers they gained with the iPhone launch.

Oh, no doubt there at all!! AT&T's data network is (I understand) not cutting edge, shall we say? I don't do the intarweb thing on my phone, so I've never worried about it.

I know there's pros and cons, but I really prefer having a GSM phone - if I need/want to change, I get a new phone, change the chip out and I'm done - no having to go to the phone store and hope the tech transfers the phonebook over correctly, etc....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Oh, no doubt there at all!! AT&T's data network is (I understand) not cutting edge, shall we say? I don't do the intarweb thing on my phone, so I've never worried about it.

In the days leading up to the release of the iPhone, I was seeing reports of AT&T customers suddenly noticing dramatic speed increases, but no official announcement.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In the days leading up to the release of the iPhone, I was seeing reports of AT&T customers suddenly noticing dramatic speed increases, but no official announcement.

That's good news, then...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706