bloody_trauma

RAM Volunteer Corp

The Remote Area Medical® (RAM) Volunteer Corps is a non-profit, volunteer, airborne relief corps dedicated to serving mankind by providing free health care, dental care, eye care, veterinary services, and technical and educational assistance to people in remote areas of the United States and the world.
Founded in 1985, Remote Area Medical® is a publicly supported all-volunteer charitable organization. Volunteer doctors, nurses, pilots, veterinarians and support workers participate in expeditions (at their own expense) in some of the world's most exciting places. Medical supplies, medicines, facilities and vehicles are donated.

http://www.ramusa.org

I never knew that this organization existed what a great reason to be a nurse and skydive, i don't volunteer very often, but this is something i could definitely get into and especially with my background as an army medic and nurse i could definitely be of some use... now to get my command to let me go for long periods of time, hmmmmm just need more training now
Fly it like you stole it

This is a great group of people- I've had many wonderful times with them. The doctors that volunteer for these clinics are nothing short of superhuman. A large part is done in the largely underserved parts of TN, KY, and VA but they have also done work on the Sioux reservations, New Orleans/Gulf coast both during and after the hurricane.

in addition to the large volume of domestic work RAM maintains an ongoing presence in Guyana complete with an air ambulance, supporting an amerindian hospital back in the Rupunnini, and they run medical teams through the interior several times a year. Women's Health is a big focus of these trips as cervical cancer is an epidemic within the Amerindian population due to HPV.

Many side projects exists including airstrip reclamation, trail cuts, infrastructure improvements, and an ongoing plan to try and rebuild/restock parts of what was once the largest free-range cattle ranch in the world. Any cowfolk interested in driving a few hundred head across the savanah should drop them an email and get on the info list.

Karen (frequentflyer on dz.com) is getting close to finalizing a full-airborne test run sometime next year, possibly into Mexico. She has been running a parallel training school at Eloy 'Airdrop Assist' (spelling?) for this concept and it's great that she is finally getting past the roadblocks.

While you would probably do okay because of your background, review their (Airborne Assist) basic training syllabus. It teaches some basic skills and is defiantly a step in the right direction but at this time it deviates from real world operational procedures. I looked at going last year and decided to hold off to wait and see if the syllabus will change.

RAM is one of the best organizations of its type and is defiantly a worthwhile group to work with.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!