LisaM

Scared to read Harry Potter Threads

This is the first HP thread I have opened and I don't want to know what happens until I read it. I just went and got my book today.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

i just finished it. i could not believe the ending! you will be amazed!! . it is an amazing ending.

OH MY GAWD! :o I am kicking myself for opening this thread again and then reading your post. I now don't feel like reading the rest of the book...Maybe I should just go read the other thread now...:|
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Neither I nor my sons, ages 8 & 10, have ready any of the previous HP books. Is there any point in buying this one to read...would it stand on its own or do you need the background of the previous books?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Is there any point in buying this one to read...would it stand on its own or do you need the background of the previous books?

imho, you don't NEED the background of the previous books to read and enjoy this one, but there is a lot of stuff you really won't get without it. If you like to read it's well worth the time and money to get and read the whole series.

Dunno if I'd have wanted my son reading the last two or three when he was a preteen though. Suggest you read them first before setting the kids loose on 'em.

Neither I nor my sons, ages 8 & 10, have ready any of the previous HP books. Is there any point in buying this one to read...would it stand on its own or do you need the background of the previous books?

90% of it won't make any sense, since you won't understand the vocabulary (muggle, mudblood, squib, avada kedavra, lumos, legilimens, occlumency, etc...) In the first couple of books, you learn these concepts along with Harry, and the first books are more age-appropriate for your kids.

i just finished it. i could not believe the ending! you will be amazed!! it is an amazing ending.

edit: No spoilers please. Post in the spoilers thread for that.

teehee, that wasn't a spoiler, I have not set my eyes on any of the books, never read one. this was deleted, lol.. was my fake ending close?
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I think its best enjoyed as a series. The book might stand on its own, but you'll miss a lot. The series really is amazing. There's a reason this one sold 20 million copies in just one day.

If you haven't read the ending of Half Blood Prince, you won't understand the ending of this book. It is really important how various characters get their wands, from whom, and under what circumstances.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.