kallend

Wireless network question

We have a wireless network at home (Linksys) and four laptops among us. Three of the laptops work fine with the network, but the fourth (2006 Dell Latitude D610, 2GB ram, 80GB drive, XP Pro) has symptoms that I haven't been able to fix. It works fine when first started, but the speed of internet access slows down the more it is used until it finally just hangs. If using IE, restarting the program will often give a temporary cure, but then it happens again. At that point I generally restart Windows and all is fine for a while. No other functions seem affected, just the speed of internet access.

Is there some setting (a cache size, maybe) that could be wrong?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I agree with Phree - sounds like a driver problem. Have you tried uninstalling the wireless and letting it find it again, then updating the driver?

I'll give that a try.

Oh, and what's the wireless device in use on the laptop? (should tell you in device manage - just wondering if it's the intel version or the dell version)

Intel 2200BG - would the driver from that be on the Intel site?

Oh, and what's the wireless device in use on the laptop? (should tell you in device manage - just wondering if it's the intel version or the dell version)

Intel 2200BG - would the driver from that be on the Intel site?

click here pick 'service tag' and put in the number probably on the bottom of the laptop

got trigger happy with the 'post' button...

should take you to driver downloads, look for the network or wireless category, download one for intel 2200bg
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Other than all the suggestions already posted, have you checked that you don't have connection sharing on that laptop disabled and that nobody is using you as a gateway? :P
I've seen a few system that had that problem and people never knew about it.

d.

Can you give more details of what you mean? Where do I find "connection sharing"?