angrypeppers

Skydivers are the best people

A while back, I was supposed to travel to Bogota for work, and posted here asking for tourist-type tips. LouDiamond gave me the contact info for another skydiver in case I had some spare time. Fast forward a few months, and I'm in Bogota this week. Lou's friend just called me and invited me to go out with a bunch of friends. Tomorrow is a national holiday here, so it's a fairly festive time! Unfortunately, I had to say no, since I have to work early tomorrow, and still have work to do tonite.

What amazes me is how tight the skydiving community is! Here I am, a couple thousand miles from Colorado, and this guy who has never met me, invites me to a party. And, while we're talking on the phone, he mentions the name of a skydiver in Colorado that I've talked to too! Four thousand miles away from home, and we know some of the same people. Incredible.

This sport is incredibly fun, but the people really are the best. So, thank you Lou for getting me in contact with Juan. Next time I travel to Bogota, or anywhere else, I'm bringing my rig. And thanks to the rest of you too. So, don't be surprised if sometime, some newbie from Colorado comes up to you, and says, I'm angrypeppers, and I want to jump.

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

A while back, I was supposed to travel to Bogota for work, and posted here asking for tourist-type tips. LouDiamond gave me the contact info for another skydiver in case I had some spare time. Fast forward a few months, and I'm in Bogota this week. Lou's friend just called me and invited me to go out with a bunch of friends. Tomorrow is a national holiday here, so it's a fairly festive time! Unfortunately, I had to say no, since I have to work early tomorrow, and still have work to do tonite.

What amazes me is how tight the skydiving community is! Here I am, a couple thousand miles from Colorado, and this guy who has never met me, invites me to a party. And, while we're talking on the phone, he mentions the name of a skydiver in Colorado that I've talked to too! Four thousand miles away from home, and we know some of the same people. Incredible.

This sport is incredibly fun, but the people really are the best. So, thank you Lou for getting me in contact with Juan. Next time I travel to Bogota, or anywhere else, I'm bringing my rig. And thanks to the rest of you too. So, don't be surprised if sometime, some newbie from Colorado comes up to you, and says, I'm angrypeppers, and I want to jump.

Chris

Good to hear that. I just got my first passport in forty years, and I'm thinking of Spain next summer. Unfortuntately, the DZs I emailed haven't responded yet. One of my Aramco Brat classmates owns a hotel in Cadiz, so I was considering staying there and jumping nearby.

Anyone?.... :)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I agree that we are a tight knit group. 90% of the time we will go out of our way to help a fellow skydiver. You can go anywhere in the world and find a group of people that you can connect with.
I don't, however, consider everyone in the skydiving community a friend. I choose my friends in the sport the same as I choose them outside of the sport. There are qualities and values that I demand in any friend, skydiver or not. Friendship and trust need to be earned.
I'm glad your situation in Bogota worked out so well.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

I know what you're saying! ;) It's a great community. Imperfect, yes, but great! :)

Speaking of such happenings, you gonna come down to ATL to watch those boys of yours who play hockey get their asses handed to them??? I schedule is out, they play here at least once this year.

I'll sleep on the couch if you need a place to stay
Skymama's #2 stalker -

SOME skydivers are good people, while others... Well... Aren't...

I've met many dizzie.commers by simply posting where I'll be traveling to. A few of them have opened their homes to me, while others went a little out of their way to come say hello. A handful of the jumpers I have met, I can definitely call my friends. :)
So, at this time, I would like to personally thank the following for opening their homes to me: Walt (even though he's an asshole, I still love him) for letting me crash at his place when I drive through Houston, Jeff (dz.commer) in AZ for offering his place for the evening and great conversations (tell KC I said hello), and LisaH for entertaining me while I was in Cali and giving me a few wet and wild nights :o at her place (inside joke :ph34r:).
If there is someone I forgot, I'll edit to add. :P

Have fun, and if you can meet up with anyone, I would definitely recommend it!

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

True Dat dude!

How long are you in Bogota for? If you're killing time, head up to Zona Rosa, in the area of calle 16 and carretera 78. Or just ask a taxi to take you to the Hard Rock Cafe and go walking from there. There's some really cool cafes/bars and restaurants in the streets, all with patios and almost all the people I've met there rock. Some cools shops there too. It's my favorite all-time city, except for knowing that when I'm there it's just to pass through to the jungle :(

I got nuthin

Speaking of such happenings, you gonna come down to ATL to watch those boys of yours who play hockey get their asses handed to them??? I schedule is out, they play here at least once this year.

I'll sleep on the couch if you need a place to stay

HOLY SMOKES--a GENTLEMAN?! On dz.com???! ;) (Just kidding. I think there are a lot of them. Some are just still in the closet.)

Actually, I think the Avs/Thrashers play on or about March 11th and I have a friend with tickets, so I just might shoot down there for a game. AND, if I get my act together (big "IF") and have an A license by then, there could by skydiving involved. . . . I've heard nothing but good about The Farm! Woohooo! (More friendly skydivers running amuck online.) :)
TPM Sister #102

HOLY SMOKES--a GENTLEMAN?! On dz.com???! ;) (Just kidding. I think there are a lot of them. Some are just still in the closet.)

I've heard nothing but good about The Farm! Woohooo! (More friendly skydivers running amuck online.) :)

shhhhhhhhh no one is supposed to know.
Remember nothing happens at The Farm.

Hey you can use the game as your spring break. It should sort of be warm by then, warm to you at least:P
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I've heard nothing but good about The Farm! Woohooo! (More friendly skydivers running amuck online.) :)

shhhhhhhhh no one is supposed to know.
Remember nothing happens at The Farm.

Hey you can use the game as your spring break. It should sort of be warm by then, warm to you at least:P

So, why do you think I want to go to The Farm??? B|

Yeah, "spring break"--I wish I still had those! Warm sounds really good, too. You might even be starting to get some spring flowers by then! I definitely might have to see about making this happen.

But, to stay on topic, I know skydivers are flawed, too, and I don't pretend otherwise. It's really nice when you find some good ones, though. I'm glad they're out there and I'm glad some of them are speaking up in this thread (and not just because I want to get down to the Farm). It's good to promulgate more of what angrypeppers is seeing. Watch out, yes. But I'm glad it's out there!
TPM Sister #102

Skydivers are the best people

Not.

Skydivers are just like everyone else.

Some are cool, some are jerks.

As a group I think skydivers have an extremely low number of assholes per capita. Of course there's some dicks, but most of them don't stick around too long
I got nuthin