ripcord4

Reversable Reserve Containers

A question for the experts here about the old-style reversable reserve containers, i.e. Para-Twin, APT-4 or the post '68 Crossbow. I am rated a Senior Rigger with a chest rating...if I legally pack the reserve as a chest mount then later attach it to the harness as a rear mount, is it still a legal pack job? Yes, I'm ignoring the reversing of the steering mod here. Let's assume a non-steerable canopy for the discussion. Opinions please?

Seems like a perfect discussion for the PIA forum.;) 99% of the riggers here aren't going to know what the hell your talking about. Of couse neither would the ones there.

Given that some of the later rigs, wonderhog at one time I understand and SST/Racer for longer, could be packed by either chest or back I'd say it would be okay. Second, who the hell is going to care at this point? You could always add a back rating.:P

I only ever saw one of the front or back rigs, a ParaTwin, once. Didn't know Crossbows were ever like that. Mine isn't. Could you move the reserve from front to back or back to front without repacking it? Didn't you need to change the ripcord? Thus breaking the seal. Or could the owner move it.

Having a cheapo on backwards might not be so bad. At least you could see where you were going.B| Wish I'd thought of it in the day. Did anybody where them backwards?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

if I legally pack the reserve as a chest mount then later attach it to the harness as a rear mount, is it still a legal pack job?

alteration

It is not an alteration - the rigs I mentioned were designed to be interchangeable between front and back reserves. It was simple to do by the owner. The only problem arose was with steerable reserve canopies as you had to reverse them, otherwise in one of the configurations, your canopy would be backwards. That might be construed as an alteration and would need a qualified rigger to do it and the repack. A non-steerable reserve was a simple swap between front and back.

Yes, I am finding out that knowledge of the earlier rigs is scarce to non-existent, but yet people will argue with you about it when they have never even seen one of these rigs, let alone ever jumped one. (I can't wait for all the "DEATH RIG" comments!)

The post 1968 X-Bow's were convertable as people started moving back to the front mounted reserves. I know of at least 3 instances where the canopies were not changed to match the location. Two were caught on the ground at repack, one in the air with a Tri-Concal canopy flying backwards.

Hi Ripcord4,

This issue is as old as a Para-Twin; and yes I was around in those days.

Now for some fun (since I spent 30 yrs working for the US gov't): 'I would think that if you packed it and it went onto the back, then it is a back parachute. However, if it went onto the front, then it is a chest parachute.' That's my impression of some FAA-type.

I mentioned some time ago that a number of folks mounted the steerable reserve canopy sideways so that you would always be going sideways but could see where you were going.

And that is not the only thing that people who have never seen whatever will 'argue to the death' about.

HTH,

Jerry

Hi Jerry...we got a little off-post here. My intent was to determine if I swapped the reserve from front to back, did I need a back-rated rigger to repack it? Or could I legally just snap the back reserve ripcord housing on and change the ripcords and reseal. Of course, a non-rigger needs a rigger to do this for him. I have heard of the sideways canopy mounting but have never seen one. And you are correct about the arguments! Perhaps I'll repost in the PIA Forum to see what arguments I can stir up there.

Hi ripcord4,

Now to get serious; I would think that you would have the container, canopy, pilot chute & risers to repack. Given that I don't think it makes any difference as how you call it.

I would probably call it a Back parachute because that is where it would be most of the time.

This is another reason why I argue against type ratings for riggers. Either you know how to pack or you do not.

I'll get down off of the soap box now.

Jerry