e.a.hernandez

Landing off the dropzone

Recon up high, conduct a landing pattern if possible, and land into the wind like always.

During an off-landing, there is a good chance that
there will be no handy windsock to tell you the wind direction.

Part of learning accuracy is to determine your ground
speed relative to objects. People should learn to tell
wind direction at a higher altitude by object movement

It would be extremely difficult to accurately tell wind direction and speed at higher altitudes(1000 feet, 2000 feet??) by judging object movement. Plus the wind direction and speed are often different at higher altitudes than they are on the ground. A better approach is to know wind direction before you leave the ground.

A handy fact to remember is that cows generally stand with their tails pointed into the wind. So, if you "land facing the cows", you should be into the wind.

I realize that some will call Bullshit (pun intended) on this, so here is the reference:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_cows_face_the_same_direction

Yeah somone told me that about a decade ago when I started AFF. (Actually I was told they face the wind to keep the flies out of them)

What I have observed is different. Here in South Carolina and Georgia they seem to face whatever direction they were most recently walking.

Maybe above 20mph winds they are more conforming but I have less reason to pay attention to them then.;)

"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Judging wind direction up high is more useful for determining the pattern entry point in my opinion. If you can't tell the direction by looking past your feet then it is likely not strong enough to matter much so I agree with you.

Water being smoother on the upwind shore is true but there are other factors here to determine if you will be able to tell a noticable difference.

I just always prepare for downwind landings when landing off and if you get some help from the wind it is just a bonus. Once you drop below the level of any trees or terrain surrounding your out, the wind often decreases enough to give you a surge anyway.

Feet and knees together, knees slightly bent and be ready to PLF. Oh, and if someone throws a planet at you don't think you can fend it off by sticking out a hand, foot , or elbow.

If you fear downwind or crosswind landings seek qualified instruction so you can improve your safety in the sport.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."