Gary73

Loc8tor

Thats nearly 2 football fields in every direction. I think that is a decent amount of ground, although that's just me.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Thats nearly 2 football fields in every direction. I think that is a decent amount of ground, although that's just me.

I guess it would be dependent on several factors, but here in Utah, most cutaways end up at least a mile out due to seriously shifting winds around 1500 feet as a result of the Great Salt Lake, freeway, and farms. (grass to water/concrete) A tandem rig once fell somewhat near the runway, but the others I've seen were significantly farther than 600 feet. One was approx 1.5 miles. Then again, it's also very flat around the DZ with no forest or tree areas.

While THIS is very old technology thats been around since the cold war era, it has recently found its way into skydiving. I watched George Galloway at last years WFFC walking around my bus looking for the transmitter that some one had hidden UNDER the bus. I have used a similar system and it is easy to use but it helps to have a good idea of the general idea where the transmitter might be and then use the device to narrow down the search. Otherwise you'll end up running in circles.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

600 feet isn't bad as long as you know the general direction of where your main has gone. Here at SDLI we have a good patch of dense trees that normally catch the main/free bag. Often there are numerous eye witnesses of the general direction of where the main has landed in the trees but because of the dense trees it often takes a while to find. A device like this would make it easier to find since all you would have to do is to walk in the general direction of your main and wait for it to show up on the gizmo.

with a range of only 600 feet....it seems to be less than ideal, no?

Well, longer distance would be better. But even with this, you only have to walk a search grid pattern of 1,200-foot circles in order to pick up the signal and know which way to go. That's about one-quarter square mile chunks of land. And that's a heck of a lot better than bush-whacking a line of people spaced 50' apart through dense brush, trying to find something or someone. I'd rather have it, than not.