Akey

2nd hand rig price

Just a quick question, is £1k really pushing it in terms of price for a 1st rig? I'm 10-11 stone (67-70kg, 147-154 lbs) so i guess i would be jumping around a 200 when i start? I could afford £1.5k but i would prefer the jump tickets!!

If you find something for 1k (british pound, yes?), then it is likely going to be compromised in some area.

No AAD?
Old container that will need maintenance work?
Canopy needs reline?
Reserve due to retire soon?

Or a combination of the above.

If you find good modern sport gear for that price, then it's a steal....

.... and give me the number of the person who sold it to you. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Yer, it would be british poinds. I did suspect that i would be pushing it a bit!! What kind of region of price do you think that i should be starting at? would 1.5k be the start for the purchase of a reasonable rig or should i be looking more around 2k. I would like to say that i realise that skydiving is not a 'budget' sport, and am fully willing to pay the price. I won't compromise my safety for the sake of a few hundred pounds (or fun in the sky for that matter!)

I bought my first rig 2 years ago for £1700. It was a Teardrop SF with a PD 170 main (quoted as having 350 jumps), Tempo 150 reserve and a CYPRES 1 which was about 3 years old at the time... and I got that through a shop.

£1750 should buy you a good rig.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

You can get a ready to roll rig for £1000 +/- a bit. There are a couple on eBay right now. (That minging blue thing has a Sabre 170 in it that is worth more than the starting price...).

Chances are, the main thing you'll be sacrificing is freefly friendliness. Rigs in that price category will probably be dated and therefore come in old teardrops/vectors/talons and the like. No bad thing for someone just starting out that wants to do a few hundred FS jumps before a) deciding what they really want to do with themselves b) stumbing across a 'deal of the century' rig purchase. The other great thing is that when you resell the first one, you won't take much of a hit on it. And if that ~£1k involved spending £400 on the bits and £700 on a cypres, hang onto the cypres when you sell. Even if you get £200 for the bits, that's only £1/pop 'rig hire' over 200 jumps...

That said, for 500/800 more, you could have a much better rig. On the other hand, if money is a biggish issue and that meant 40 less jumps this season, then go for the cheaper rig and jump more...imho. I just reckon it would suck to spend [insert vast sum of money] and then jump 15 times that year because you blew it all on a rig...

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Whilst I don't disagree with Mike (Brabz), I think that £1500 is much more realistic. You shouldn't need to pay more than that for a decent rig in student sizes. As a guide I just sold a good freefly friendly rig, ready to jump with AAD and a 170 sized canopy (the most popular size) for £1400.

You may have to hunt for a while but the 190s and 200s are not in quite such demand as the 170s and 150s so happy hunting!:)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

You can pick up stuff for less than that, if you dont mind older equipment.

I have a rig for sale at £600 (will probably take less) that is an old container and reserve. It has a cypres with 3 years left, main (sabre 170) relined 150 jumps ago and the reserve needs a repack in 4 months time. The container is in good condition (for its age, 17 years old) but might need new velcro/spandex in some jumps (normally replaced for < £20).

So theres nothing wrong with it. Its just cheap cos its older, but its all in perfectly good working order.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.