DroptheMan04

Which to buy first and last

I'll try and field your Q but keep in mind I am a newb myself ;)

Knowing what gear to buy can be quite complicated for a new jumper....reserve size...canopy size and type.....not to mention make....are questions best left untill you have a decient understanding of what you will need to continue in the sport if you so choose once you have a licence...

However buying a basic helmet to use is often recomended....a protec is a good starter helmet and offers the only real protection of most helmets used in skydiving today....start with the basic's and once you have the knowlage then you can decide to purchase (or not to) a skydive specific helmet.

Owning your own altimeter and goggles is also not a bad idea...but again keep it basic.....no need to go out and buy the best of everything.....a nice simple alt and ...lets say a pair of flex-z's will do you fine.

Always check with you instructors before listening to ANY advise you recieve online....

IMHO go ahead and buy youseft a protec (or similar) a pair of goggles and maybe a altimeter(again nothing too fancy) but leave the rig and jumpsuit decissions untill you have a licence and a much better understanding of the sport and your requirments for whatever disipline you will follow. :)

It depends on a few things.

What will your budget allow?

Do you jump at a DZ that rents rig and accessories, just rigs, or none of the above.

It's nice to have your own helmet, goggles and altimeter. That is the most common first purchase in my store along with a log book. Then jumpsuit, then rig.

But if you have the money, then get as much as you can. Jumpsuits and rigs can take up to 12 weeks to arrive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

FWIW, my order of purchases is that I bought a helmet and goggles, already had an AltiII from paragliding. I also bought new boots because my old boots were falling apart after 8 years of paraglides.
I haven't purchased anything else yet, although I've got the DZO looking out for a used rig that will fit my requirements. Jumpsuit, pants, whatever will have to wait til I have jump numbers high enough to have an idea of exactly what I need. Til then, I use the generic jumpsuits the DZ has available. I don't know if I want to do RW work or not, so may not even look that direction until after I've done more of it. So far, I'm not interested, but if I was, I'd still be waiting til I had enough numbers to make an informed decision. It's tough not having all my own gear, and while I can afford to buy pretty well whatever I want, it's not the smart thing to do, because I'd likely end up buying stuff I either don't need, or will outgrow somewhat quickly.
Your instructor and DZO are likely the best people to talk with since they know your jump skills and can best help you suit your needs pertaining to those skills.
my nickel's worth, anyway...

Do you jump at a DZ that rents rig and accessories, just rigs, or none of the above.

Bonnie, I wanted to take this line of advice a little different direction.

To me I have always viewed certain items of gear a personal item of gear. Altimeter, helmet, jumpsuit and goggles being those items. I've always viewed the rig as something not quite as personal. To me the first items to buy would be those items, goggles first, then altimeter, helmet and jumpsuit.

It seems that there is always a rig to jump, someone will let you borrow their rig before they let you borrow their jumpsuit.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

*** I've always viewed the rig as something not quite as personal. To me the first items to buy would be those items, goggles first, then altimeter, helmet and jumpsuit.

It seems that there is always a rig to jump, someone will let you borrow their rig before they let you borrow their jumpsuit.

This my view also, you just said it more eloquently.
I prefer goggles and helmet which are mine, not scratched nor sweat-stained by someone else. Same with owning altimeter, I know mine works and a fair part of my safety is tied to this device.
Jumpsuit...all 3 DZ's I've taken instruction at have advised me to wait, and so wait, I've done.

Don't take this as advice because I am a newbie too but I can tell you the approach I took and why.

I found that finding the perfect rig to match your size and experience is the hardest. The helmet, alti and goggles are generic and can be picked up easily. Having a limited budget, my aim is to have a rig to jump ready by the time I get my A so I don't have to pay for rig rentals.

Here, after AFF we have to do 10 coached jumps before getting the A and this includes rig rental. I've put all my money into a rig and I figure that if I get past this stage and don't have money for an alti or helmet, they are easy to borrow or cheaper to rent than a rig.

The jumpsuit was a bit of a fluke, someone was selling it at my DZ who was my exact size and I loved the colours. It was also a ridiculously awesome deal.

I am really lucky I have a jumpsuit, I have been told by many ppl on my DZ that the jumpsuit is the essential first item as it takes weeks to make and to order it before I need it so when I do, it's there. I agree that having my own jumpsuit has made a major difference in freefall control.

Edited to add: Most of the student jumpsuits (if not all - I'm not sure) at my DZ don't have grips on them which are essential for the coached jumps, this could be a possible influence on that jumpsuit advice I have been given.

when I was a student, having my own protec saved me a couple minutes every day adjusting the darn strap on one of the DZ's student helmets.

I wear glasses so having my own goggles was almost necessary.

Having these things and therefore knowing I wouldn't have any issue finding them lowered my stress level. (I was a nervous student - ask my instructors. ;))

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.