matt1215

Jumping 2 reserves

A better option is jumping a reserve set up as a main, some manufacturers (PD, Aerodyne) offer demo's.

It sounded like that is exactly what was being asked:)
Yes, you can do it. Probably a not a bad idea to give that a whirl. I haven't yet, some of my friends have, they all did subterminal openings (hop/pops) so they could have a feel for it before buying one and/or needing to use one. Talk to your friendly neighborhood rigger to work it out.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Guest 1010

Is there such a thing as demoing a reserve (having 2 reserves in a rig, one packed as the main)?

Seems like a way to become familiar with the flight characteristics of one's reserve before needing it.

Here ya go. I demo'd a PD Reserve (rigged as my main, with the normal reserve in its normal place) before buying my rig sized to it. A hundred jumps later, I'm still very glad I did that. All the jumps you can make on it, in two weeks, for the $40.

PD Demo page

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Makes me wonder... an umpteen hundred jumps F-111 canopy that a demo reserve probably is, won't it be rather different in flight and landing characteristics from a 0-20 jump canopy that a real reserve actually is?

every pd reserve i've demoed so far looked brand new.
and they always seem to have one of them just waitiing for you on the shelf if you stop at their place in deland.
Padalcek - CCO, HF-17
http://www.theflyinghellfish.com
I'm not a real skydiver - but I do play one on dz.com.

Guest 1010

I imagine terminal openings to be pretty harsh .

(newb warning) I did not find this to be the case. I posted about it a couple weeks ago but "search" isn't done indexing. Best for you to jump it and see for yourself, really. (iirc I pulled at 9k just off the hill, that didn't hurt, so 9k from full altitude 13.5, and 6k from full altitude. I called the openings "brisk", but not hard.)

And, the canopy seemed new to me (not that I could tell much difference at 48 jumps). I was lucky to get the three jumps on it even, winter weather and all.

I imagine terminal openings to be pretty harsh .

(newb warning) I did not find this to be the case. I posted about it a couple weeks ago but "search" isn't done indexing. Best for you to jump it and see for yourself, really. (iirc I pulled at 9k just off the hill, that didn't hurt, so 9k from full altitude 13.5, and 6k from full altitude. I called the openings "brisk", but not hard.)

And, the canopy seemed new to me (not that I could tell much difference at 48 jumps). I was lucky to get the three jumps on it even, winter weather and all.

If you packed it like a reserve pack job (nose splayed and ready to recieve air) and using no other packing tricks to alow it down IE: slider stowing/ positioning, double stowing etc it will open quite "firmly". Most people will pack it just like their main, which they are used to reefing for the openings they like, read: soft.

Mick.

Guest 1010

If you packed it like a reserve pack job (nose splayed and ready to recieve air) and using no other packing tricks to alow it down IE: slider stowing/ positioning, double stowing etc it will open quite "firmly". Most people will pack it just like their main, which they are used to reefing for the openings they like, read: soft.

Mick.

Finally someone is making some sense. I asked PD and they said the slider size etc was nothing special for the demo, but exactly the same as the reserve. I was paying for packing at the time, the experienced packer knew it was a reserve, so it may have been packed for a pretty slow opening. I know the slider was up, I would have noticed that LOL.

How would you characterize a reserve pack-job? Fast-as-possible slider up? (Yes I'll have this conversation with my rigger as well.)

How would you characterize a reserve pack-job? Fast-as-possible slider up? (Yes I'll have this conversation with my rigger as well.)

The orintation of the nose is the most critical aspect in determining opening speed. Once the nose is allowed to fill and the cells pressureize you basicly come to a stop (with regard to previously falling). The sooner this can take place from the moment of pilot chute launch the quicker you will be open, it's pretty simple. The reverse is true if you want softer openings.

Mick.